ICB Level 2 and 3 Bookkeeping with Starting Your Own Business
Develop advanced bookkeeping, accounting and business knowledge, with an award-winning home learning provider!
- Learn how to plan, set up, market and run a company.
- Gain knowledge of all aspects of bookkeeping.
- Starting with manual single-entry bookkeeping, and working up to fully computerised accounts for a limited company.
A strong understanding of your company’s finances is one of the most vital factors that will influence its potential for success. But hiring accountants can be too costly for many young businesses.
That’s why this ICB Level 2 Bookkeeping, Level 3 Bookkeeping and Accounts and Starting Your Own Business course package offers you the chance to learn how to plan, set up, market and run a company, and gain knowledge of all aspects of bookkeeping.
Up to 3 years.
You will receive an ICB Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping (AICB), an ICB Level 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping and Accounts (MICB) and a Certificate of Achievement in Starting Your Own Business Level 3.
No prior bookkeeping knowledge is needed to enrol onto this course, but you should have basic numerical skills.
A mixture of tutor-marked assignments, online tests and an examination.
ICB Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping – Associate Membership AICB
- Understand the importance of adhering to a code of professional ethics
- Understand the legal differences between the structure of different types of businesses
- Understand the specific accounting requirements for different accounting systems
- Understand the basic accounting concepts
- Understand the importance of legislation that applies to bookkeepers
- Understand the importance of the chart of accounts
- Understand the importance of IT systems in a modern bookkeeping world
- Understand the basic principles involved in double entry bookkeeping including the format of the accounting equation
- Identify the various methods of payment and receipts to and from a bank account
- Understand the purpose and range of business documents
- Understand the need to accurately prepare business documents for goods and services supplied
- Understand the need to check business documents received
- Understand the various rates of VAT
- Understand how to correctly account for VAT in a bookkeeping system
- Understand how to account for VAT transactions with customers in, and suppliers from, other countries
- Understand the purpose of, and making entries into, a bookkeeping system
- Calculate the value of equity
- Understand how to upload and match bank transactions
- Understand the use of control accounts in the system
- Understand the purpose and need to record petty cash
- Post appropriate journal entries into the system
- Understand the purpose and use of the trial balance
- Reconcile relevant account balances
- Understand the need to correct errors
- Produce relevant reports
ICB Level 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping and Accounts – Full Membership MICB
- Understand the importance of adhering to a code of ethical principles
- Understand when and how to take appropriate action to cope with unethical behaviour
- Understand the legal differences between the structures of various types of businesses
- Understand the main accounting concepts that apply
- Understand the various accounting standards that are applied to the production of year-end accounts
- Understand the different VAT schemes that are available for use
- Understand the importance of being able to clearly communicate relevant information
- Understand the requirements for uploads to HMRC under making tax digital (as and when introduced)
- Reconcile debtors and creditors control accounts
- Write off a bad debt
- Correct errors in the accounts
- Reconcile the VAT account
- Complete a VAT return
- Account for the disposal of fixed assets
- Understand the need to allow for, and be able to post, adjustments to the accounts
- Provide for revaluation of assets
- Prepare a set of final accounts suitable for internal management purposes
- Calculate and post relevant amounts to appropriate profits as required
- Adjust capital share of partners
- Understand the importance of interpreting financial statements for internal management purposes
- Analyse and interpret financial statements
- Prepare a cash budget
Starting Your Own Business QLS Level 3
- Why start your own business?
- Character and motivation
- Before you start: managing yourself and planning
- Market research
- Sales and profits
- Financial planning
- Employing people
- Stock and asset management
- Deciding on the form of your business (sole trader, partnership, limited company)
- How to decide what is best for you
- Setting goals for yourself
- Your product or service
- Value for money
- Segmenting your market
- Identifying your potential customers
- Promoting your business
- Before sale
- After sale
- Understanding your business finances
- Working with figures
- Break-event point
- Fixed and current assets
- Cash flow
- Sources of finance
- Managing your money
- Why do you need a business plan?
- The format and structure of your business plan
- Yourself, your people. your values, your mission
- Your business model
- Your market
- Your competition
- Profit forecast
For the Starting Your Own Business Level 3 course, you will be assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to and marked by your tutor. There is no external examination required.
For the ICB courses, you will complete a number of Tutor Marked Assignments in preparation for your official assessments. For the Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping, as part of your official assessment, you will complete three online tests.
For the Level 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping and Accounts, as part of your official assessment, you will complete four online tests and an examination.
All online tests can be taken at home or at work, wherever you have access to a secure internet connection, so assessment is quick and simple. For any examinations, we can help you find an approved ICB examination centre in your area. You will be responsible for booking and paying for any assessments or exams
Once enrolled, you can start at any time and will have three years to complete this bundle (one year per level).
You will also receive 12 months tutor support for each level, so you can work at your own pace.
Whilst studying your ICB courses you will also be required to install Sage software. You will have 6 months access to this software.
The course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. Students will receive all course materials by post, plus tutor support by email.
On successful completion of all assessments, you will achieve an ICB Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping (AICB), an ICB Level 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping and Accounts (MICB) and a Certificate of Achievement in Starting your Own Business Level 3.
On completion of the Level 2 and 3 ICB courses you will receive full membership status with the ICB and will be eligible to use the letters MICB after your name.
The Institute of Certified Bookkeepers is the largest bookkeeping awarding body in the world. Offering membership to students, their industry-recognised qualifications highlight your experience and competence within the bookkeeping and account profession.
The Starting Your Own Business Level 3 course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example, progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality License Scheme website. This course has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
No prior bookkeeping knowledge is needed to enrol onto this course, but you should have basic numerical skills. The SAGE software is accessible via a downloadable link, so you’ll need a computer or laptop with internet connection and storage.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE registration and 1 year subscription to ICB
- FREE Sage 50 Accounts software
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- Comprehensive study guide
- Open Study College pen and highlighter
- Student study planner
- Student notebook
- Document wallet
The Sage 50 software will only work on computers which run Windows 7 or higher. Sage software will not run on Windows XP or on any Apple Macintosh computer. The software is available as a download only – you must have an internet connection and the ability to save the software to your device.
In order to achieve the full ICB qualification for each course you will be required to sit a number of online tests and an examination.
Yes. It is your responsibility to pay for all ICB assessments and examinations.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.