Nail Technician Level 3 and Starting Your Own Business Level 3
Learn all of the skills you need to become one step closer to starting your own nail technician business.
- Study the health and safety considerations involved in working in the nail industry.
- Learn how to apply and maintain nail enhancements such as gel, acrylic and powder enhancements.
- Understand how to apply a variety of nail art designs, including marbling, blending, foils and airbrushing.
- Explore how to successfully start your own business, including writing a business plan, how to market your business, set a pricing strategy and understanding your business’s finances.
This course prepares students to become successful nail technicians and business owners, offering expert practical and professional guidance built on years of inside industry experience.
All course materials will be delivered to you by post or email, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way by email.
You can enrol at any time and have up to a year to complete your studies, so you can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by post or via email, so handing in an assignment is simple.
Up to two years.
Approximately 240 hours.
You will receive two Certificates of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Nail Technician Level 3
- Health and safety legislation
- Hygiene in the workplace
- Preventing infection
- Preparing for the client
- Your health and safety responsibilities
- Risk assessment
- First aid
- Fire precautions
- COSHH within the nail industry
- Data protection
- Security procedures
- Cash handling
- Professional standards
- National Occupational Standards
- Client consultation
- New clients
- Regular clients
- Agreeing a treatment plan
- Giving aftercare advice
- Effective communication techniques
- How to handle complaints
- Dealing with staff disputes or disagreements
- Preparing your work area
- Seating and lighting
- Sterilising equipment
- Methods of sterilisation
- Nail enhancement products
- Other considerations
- Nail and skin analysis
- The structure of the skin
- The structure of the nail
- Nail growth
- Nail types
- Nail diseases and disorders
- Preparing the nail and applying tips
- Preparing the natural nail
- Different tips and their features
- Guidelines for choosing suitable tips
- Acrylic and powder enhancements
- Gel enhancements
- Fibreglass or silk (wrap system) enhancements
- Sculpture nail enhancements
- Equipment for nail art
- Consulting with clients
- Planning a nail art treatment
- How to design nail art
- Different nail art brushes
- Techniques and designs
- Charms and rhinestones
- Even lines and striping techniques
- Dots and circles
- Flower designs
- Using glitter
- How to apply nail transfers
- Applying foils
- Nail jewellery
- Airbrushing: equipment and techniques
- Where can a nail technician work?
- Being your own boss
- Obtaining finance
- Self-employed status
- Marketing yourself
- Working for a company
- Working on a mobile basis
- Working on cruise ships
- Working in the media industry
- Working in teaching
- **Please note: Before the practical days, you will be required to choose whether you wish to attend practical days for gel OR acrylic nails. **
- Principle techniques of manicure and pedicure
- Health and Safety
- Consultation and contraindications
- Anatomy and physiology
- Theory of tip application
- Product knowledge
- Product application
- Infills and removals
Starting Your Own Business Level 3
- Why start your own business?
- Character and motivation
- Before you start: managing yourself and planning
- Market research
- Sales and profits
- Financial planning
- Employing people
- Stock and asset management
- Deciding on the form of your business (sole trader, partnership, limited company)
- How to decide what is best for you
- Setting goals for yourself
- Your product or service
- Value for money
- Segmenting your market
- Identifying your potential customers
- Promoting your business
- Before sale
- After sale
- Understanding your business finances
- Working with figures
- Break-event point
- Fixed and current assets
- Cash flow
- Sources of finance
- Managing your money
- Why do you need a business plan?
- The format and structure of your business plan
- Yourself, your people. your values, your mission
- Your business model
- Your market
- Your competition
- Profit forecast
This course is assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your course tutor to be marked. There is no external examination required.
Once enrolled, you will have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course), which will allow you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines. You will also receive 12 months tutor support for each course, so you can feel confident that you’ll get the help you need. This bundle will take you approximately 240 hours. Studying around your work and family commitments has never been easier.
This course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. You will receive your course manual through the post or online, as well as full tutor support by email.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive two Certificates of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website.
This course has been benchmarked at level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol on to this course.
You may start at any time and have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course). This bundle is truly flexible and is designed to be adaptable around your lifestyle.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- FREE CV writing service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College pen and highlighter
- * Student study planner
- * Student notebook
- * Document wallet
- * FREE Nail Technician kit including:
- Nail art training hand
- 10 x emery boards
- 10 x manicure sticks
- Rubber end stick
- Plastic nail brush
- Nail buffer
- Cuticle cream and cuticle oil
- Nail buffering cream
- Base coat, topcoat, red nail varnish, pink nail varnish
- Clear spatula
* Not included with the online study option
No. Your certification is issued based on your tutor-marked assignments alone.
No. Everything you need is included in the price!
Students will send work back to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.