Nail Technician Level 3
Develop your knowledge of nails and boost your skills with this home learning course.
- Add on a 3 day practical studying gel or acrylic nails!
- Study the latest techniques of nail enhancements and design
- Develop your professional skills and become customer-focused
- Understand the legislation and regulations that are relevant to the nail industry
- Prepare to work within a salon or run your own business
- Understand the wider nail industry and the job opportunities within it
Upon successful completion, you will be able to gain your professional indemnity insurance with this certificate. This insurance will cover you to work from home, mobile or in a salon.
This course will allow you to study the convenient way! You decide when and where you learn, at your own pace. Your coursework can be submitted by either post or email, making it easy and hassle-free.
Add on the practical days and gain the skills needed to become a nail technician.
Up 1 year.
You will receive your Nail Technician Level 3.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
Series of written assignments. Practical days (if you add this on).
- Health and safety legislation
- Hygiene in the workplace
- Preventing infection
- Preparing for the client
- Your health and safety responsibilities
- Risk assessment
- First aid
- Fire precautions
- COSHH within the nail industry
- Data protection
- Security procedures
- Cash handling
- Professional standards
- National Occupational Standards
- Client consultation
- New clients
- Regular clients
- Agreeing a treatment plan
- Giving aftercare advice
- Effective communication techniques
- How to handle complaints
- Dealing with staff disputes or disagreements
- Preparing your work area
- Seating and lighting
- Sterilising equipment
- Methods of sterilisation
- Nail enhancement products
- Other considerations
- Nail and skin analysis
- The structure of the skin
- The structure of the nail
- Nail growth
- Nail types
- Nail diseases and disorders
- Preparing the nail and applying tips
- Preparing the natural nail
- Different tips and their features
- Guidelines for choosing suitable tips
- Acrylic and powder enhancements
- Gel enhancements
- Fibreglass or silk (wrap system) enhancements
- Sculpture nail enhancements
- Equipment for nail art
- Consulting with clients
- Planning a nail art treatment
- How to design nail art
- Different nail art brushes
- Techniques and designs
- Charms and rhinestones
- Even lines and striping techniques
- Dots and circles
- Flower designs
- Using glitter
- How to apply nail transfers
- Applying foils
- Nail jewellery
- Airbrushing: equipment and techniques
- Where can a nail technician work?
- Being your own boss
- Obtaining finance
- Self-employed status
- Marketing yourself
- Working for a company
- Working on a mobile basis
- Working on cruise ships
- Working in the media industry
- Working in teaching
- **Please note: Before the practical days, you will be required to choose whether you wish to attend practical days for gel OR acrylic nails. **
- Principle techniques of manicure and pedicure
- Health and Safety
- Consultation and contraindications
- Anatomy and physiology
- Theory of tip application
- Product knowledge
- Product application
- Infills and removals
This course will be assessed through a series of written assignments, which will be sent and marked by your tutor. If you add on your practical days, your coursework must be completed before you can proceed onto the 3-day practical training. At the end of the 3-day practical, a small assessment will be carried out to ensure the standards are met for you to be proficient in your new career. You will be working on others.
You may start at any time and have up to 1 year to complete your studies. This gives you flexibility to work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
The course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. Students receive a course manual, assignments and tutor support for the home study part of the course. If you add on your practicals, you will also need to attend a 3-day practical training. You choose out of over 20 centres throughout the UK in major cities where you would like to take your practical days.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of achievement in your Nail Technician Level 3. If you add on your practicals, you will also receive a certificate of completion from Salon Services.
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website.
This course has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
If you add on your practical, nails for beginners 3-day practical is accredited by The Association of Beauty Therapists. ABT Beauty Insurance provides total insurance solutions for beauticians, salons, students and other treatments at incredible rates. You will join over 12,000 other therapists and be part of the UK’s leading membership and insurance provider.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
If you add on the practicals, the 3 practical days will be based on gel or acrylic nails – you decide. You must remove all existing nail extensions or gel polish before attending, as you will be working on each other.
We will also send out to you the following when you have booked your practical days.
- Either gel or Acrylic nail for beginner’s kit
- Acetone 500ml
- Nail wipes
You will be required to bring these with you on your practical days.
The first day will be held from 10am – 4:30pm and days 2 and 3 from 10am – 4pm.
You may start at any time and you have up to 1 year. This course is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
If you add these on to your package, once you have passed your written assignments, you may book your practical days. You have the choice of over 20 centres to choose from to take your practical training days.
Simply call us whenever you’re ready and we’ll help arrange this for you. The practical days require a kit and other equipment, which is why we will send these out to you once you are booked onto your 3 practical days.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV writing service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE Totum discount card (formerly NUS Extra)
- Comprehensive study guide*
- Open Study College pen and highlighter*
- Student study planner*
- Student notebook*
- Document wallet*
*FREE Nail Technician Kit which includes:
- Nail art training hand*
- 10 x Emery boards*
- 10 x Manicure sticks*
- Rubber end stick*
- Plastic nail brush*
- Nail buffer*
- Cuticle cream and cuticle oil*
- Nail buffering cream*
- Base coat, topcoat, red nail varnish, pink nail varnish*
- Clear Spatula*
* Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need will be included in the cost of the course.
Once we receive your work, we will mark it and return it to you.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.