Edexcel Functional Skills English and Maths Level 2
OSC1332 / OSC1333
This great value course includes both Functional Skills Maths and English at Level 2...
- This Functional Skills English and Maths Level 2 course is equivalent to two grade 4 GCSEs.
- Accredited and recognised qualification that will demonstrate your knowledge and skills in English and maths.
- Achieve this qualification from the comfort your own home, at your own pace.
- If you add on your exams, we will book and pay for them for you!
This great value course includes both Functional Skills English and Maths at Level 2.
Just let us know when you’re ready to sit them after completing your studies, and we’ll book them for you! Stress and hassle-free.
With two years to complete both courses you can study at your own pace, wherever and whenever you choose. Either study each one individually, or simultaneously. You’ll receive all course materials together, so you have the flexibility to learn your way.
Please note that you must complete the exams to achieve your qualification. You can choose to add your exams to your enrolment, and we will save you the hassle of booking them, giving you more time to dedicate to your studies. If you do not add your exams to your enrolment, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams by liaising directly with your chosen exam centre.
Up to two years.
On completion of your exams, you will receive your Functional skills Maths and English Level 2.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
- Extracting relevant information
- Following narratives and line of arguments
- Communication information, ideas and opinions
- Making requests and asking questions
- Expressing opinions and arguments
- Using language effectively
- Making relevant and constructive contributions
- Adapting contributions
- Interjecting and redirecting discussions
- Identify key information needed for a range of situations
- Compare information, ideas and opinions
- Identify implicit and inferred meaning
- Understand the relationship between textual features and devices
- Use a range of reference materials and appropriate resources
- Understand organisational features
- Analyses texts of different complexity
- Follow and identify different points of an argument
- Identify different styles of writing and writers voice
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Communicating information, ideas and opinions effectively and clearly
- Writing texts to meet the needs of purpose and audience
- Organising writing for different purposes
- Using different language and register
- Constructing complex sentences
- Positive and negative numbers
- Addition and subtraction in a practical context
- Multiplication and division in a practical context
- Factors and multiples
- Fractions and decimals
- Scaling quantities
- Using map scales
- Converting percentages, fractions and decimals
- Compound interest
- Substituting equations
- Simplifying equations and multiplying out brackets
- Changing the subject of an equation
- Solving simple equations
- Unit conversion
- Speed, distance and time
- Perimeter and area of 2D shapes
- 3D shapes
- Elevations and plans
- Qualitative and quantitative data
- Continuous and discrete data
- Simple statistical tests on data
- Graphs and charts
- Comparing data
- Understanding probability
You have 2 years to complete both courses. Either study each one individually, or both simultaneously – the flexibility and choice is yours!
On completion of this distance learning course and relevant examinations, you will be awarded the Exdecel Functional Skills Qualification in English Level 2 and the Edexcel Functional Skills Qualification in Maths Level 2. If you only complete one of the two courses, you’ll only receive the qualification which corresponds with that course
Edexcel’s qualifications are world renowned and highly respected, giving learners the opportunity to succeed in life, learning and employment.
Exams and assessments
Functional Skills English Level 2 exam
Your Functional Skills English Level 2 qualification will require you to complete two written exam papers and one practical speaking exam.
Functional Skills Maths Level 2 exam
Your Functional Skills Maths Level 2 qualification will require you to complete two written exam papers, one with a calculator and one without.
You will also complete a series of tutor-marked assignments throughout your course. This will allow both you and your tutor to track your progress as you make your way through your studies.
Choosing to add the exams package
If you choose to add your exams on to your enrolment, all you need to do is contact us when you are ready to sit your exams, we will book and pay for them on your behalf. You are advised to contact us well in advance of when you intend to sit your exams so that we can confirm your place with the exam board.
Please note, our Functional Skills exam centre locations for this course are as follows:
- St Neots, Cambridgeshire
- High Wycombe
The course-only option
If you do not add your exams to your enrolment, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams yourself. If you select this option, you must source and liaise with your chosen exam centre in order to book your exams, Open Study College will not be able to book your exams for you.
Functional Skills English Level 2 - practical exam
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Assessment format: a five-minute presentation with a question and answer session, and a 15-minute formal discussion.
Functional Skills English Level 2 - paper 1
- Duration: 75 minutes
- Marks: 35
- Assessment format: multiple-choice, short and medium open response questions.
Functional Skills English Level 2 - paper 2
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Marks: 36
- Assessment format: two set tasks with 42% of marks assessing spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Functional Skills Maths Level 2 - non-calculator
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Weighting: 25%
- Marks: 16 in total
- Assessment format: on-screen or paper-based assessment
Functional Skills Maths Level 2 - calculator
- Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Weighting: 75%
- Marks: 48 in total
- Assessment format: on-screen or paper-based assessment
Students will need to have a good level of spoken English to complete the speaking elements of the examination. It is also recommended that students are confident using a laptop or computer, as external exam centres may host onscreen only examinations.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated learner services
- Assignment marking and feedback
- Final examinations
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- *Study pack including notebook, pen, and highlighter.
*Not included with the online study option.
Yes, in order to achieve your Functional Skills qualification, you must complete the exams required by the course’s exam board.
You can choose to add your exams to your enrolment with us, in which case we will book and pay for your exams for you when you are ready. Alternatively, if you choose the course-only option, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams which can be done directly with your local exam centre.
Please note: if you add on exams you will need to sit these exams in either the Birmingham, Coventry, Doncaster, Bolton, Wimbledon, Taunton, Belfast, High Wycombe, or St Neots, Cambridgeshire examination centre.
If you select the course-only option when enrolling on your course, you will need to book directly with the exam centre and pay for your exams yourself. We highly recommend researching your options before enrolling as costs can vary between centres. However, if you choose to add the exams package to your enrolment, we will take care of booking and paying for your exams for you when you are ready.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.