Edexcel Functional Skills English Level 2
OSC1371 / OSC1372
Develop English skills needed in everyday life and work situations. With our Edexcel Functional Skills English Level 2 you can progress your career further or use this qualification as an entry to further studies.
- Fully recognised Edexcel English Functional Skills Level 2
- Communicate English effectively in all forms
- Includes one off telephone support to practice presentation skills
- Understand effective speaking, listening and communication skills
- Improve your reading and writing skills including punctuation and grammar
- If you add on your exams, we will book and pay for them for you!
- Learn at your own pace, in your own environment
Learn expert speaking, listening and communication skills you can apply to life and the workplace. Understand the rules of writing, grammar and punctuation and improve your reading skills.
With this option, your exams can be included. Just let us know when you are ready and we will book for you!
Please note that you must complete the exams to achieve your qualification. You can choose to add your exams to your enrolment, and we will save you the hassle of booking them, giving you more time to dedicate to your studies. If you do not add your exams to your enrolment, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams by liaising directly with your chosen exam centre.
Up to 1 year
You will receive your Edexcel Functional Skills Qualification in English Level 2 (you must take the exams to achieve this).
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
2 paper-based exams and 1 practical speaking exam.
- Extracting relevant information
- Following narratives and line of arguments
- Communication information, ideas and opinions
- Making requests and asking questions
- Expressing opinions and arguments
- Using language effectively
- Making relevant and constructive contributions
- Adapting contributions
- Interjecting and redirecting discussions
- Identify key information needed for a range of situations
- Compare information, ideas and opinions
- Identify implicit and inferred meaning
- Understand the relationship between textual features and devices
- Use a range of reference materials and appropriate resources
- Understand organisational features
- Analyses texts of different complexity
- Follow and identify different points of an argument
- Identify different styles of writing and writers voice
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Communicating information, ideas and opinions effectively and clearly
- Writing texts to meet the needs of purpose and audience
- Organising writing for different purposes
- Using different language and register
- Constructing complex sentences
The exam consists of 2 written papers and 1 practical speaking exam.
Choosing to add the exams package
If you choose to add your exams on to your enrolment, all you need to do is contact us when you are ready to sit your exams, we will book and pay for them on your behalf. You are advised to contact us well in advance of when you intend to sit your exams so that we can confirm your place with the exam board.
Please note, our Functional Skills exam centre locations for this course are as follows:
- St Neots, Cambridgeshire
- High Wycombe
The course-only option
If you do not add your exams to your enrolment, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams yourself. If you select this option, you must source and liaise with your chosen exam centre in order to book your exams, Open Study College will not be able to book your exams for you.
You have up to 1 full year to complete the course which starts from your enrolment date. During this time, you have access to your course materials and tutor support. You can study at your own pace throughout the year.
On successful completion of this course and your examinations you will receive the Edexcel Functional Skills Qualification in English Level 2.
Edexcel is a highly respected and recognised awarding body and their qualifications allow learners to succeed in life, learning and employment.
Duration: 40 minutes
Assessment format: A 5-minute presentation with question and answer session. A 15-minute formal discussion.
Duration: 75 minutes
Assessment format: Multiple choice, short open response and medium open response questions.
Duration: 60 minutes
Assessment format: 2 set tasks with 42% of marks assessing spelling, grammar and punctuation
Speaking, listening and communicating
There are no formal course requirements, but it is recommended that students are confident using a laptop or computer. This is because some external exam centres may host onscreen only exams.
- Personal tutor support
- Dedicated learner services
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- *Study pack including notebook, pen, and highlighter.
*Not included with the online study option.
Yes, in order to achieve your Functional Skills qualification, you must complete the exams required by the course’s exam board.
You can choose to add your exams to your enrolment with us, in which case we will book and pay for your exams for you when you are ready. Alternatively, if you choose the course-only option, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams which can be done directly with your local exam centre.
Please note: if you add on exams you will need to sit these exams in either the Birmingham, Coventry, Doncaster, Bolton, Wimbledon, Taunton, Belfast, High Wycombe, or St Neots, Cambridgeshire examination centre.
If you select the course-only option when enrolling on your course, you will need to book directly with the exam centre and pay for your exams yourself. We highly recommend researching your options before enrolling as costs can vary between centres. However, if you choose to add the exams package to your enrolment, we will take care of booking and paying for your exams for you when you are ready
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.