Caring for the Elderly QLS Level 3
Learn more about working with the elderly with this Caring for the Elderly course and boost your career in social care.
- This course is a great addition to your CV if you currently work in social care and are looking to expand your knowledge of caring for the elderly.
- Improve your knowledge of how you can provide person-centred care tailored to individuals in your care.
- Learn more about relevant legislation and how you can safeguard vulnerable adults.
- Study at home at your own pace.
As life expectancy continues to improve in the UK, the percentage of over-65s is increasing significantly. As a result, the care sector is growing and there is a demand for specific skills and knowledge to care for the elderly.
This Caring for the Elderly Level 3 course is ideal for anyone already working in the care sector who is looking to improve their knowledge of how they provide effective care for the elderly.
During this course, you’ll learn more about the Care Quality Commission, common conditions in the elderly, how you can enhance relationships through communication, and the health and safety considerations you need to be aware of when caring for the elderly.
Up to one year.
Approximately 120 hours.
You will receive your certificate in achievement in Caring for the Elderly Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- The Care Quality Commission
- Types of care available to the elderly
- Roles of workers within health and social care
- Safeguarding of vulnerable adults (SOVA)
- Categories of abuse
- Procedure in circumstances where abuse is suspected
- Legislation: The Data Protection Act
- The Human Rights Act
- Equality and Diversity
- Principles of person-centred care
- Care planning
- Record keeping
- Verbal communication
- Non-verbal communication
- Health and Safety Legislation (1974)
- Risk assessment
- COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health)
- Cleaning agents and chemicals
- Bodily fluids
- Administering and storing medication
- Moving and handling
- Transferring service users
- Infection control
- Signs of malnutrition
- Types of dementia
- Diagnosing dementia
- Support services
- Difficulties particular to dementia
- Activities that help people with dementia
- The Mental Capacity Act
- Deprivation of Liberties Act
- End of life care
- Gold Standards Framework
- Care of the skin
- Prevention of pressure sores
- Congestive heart failure
- High blood pressure
- Lung disease
- Problems with valves
This course is assessed by a series of assignments which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination or practical work is required, so you can complete all assessed work from home.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 120 hours to complete. This allows you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines.
This course will be studied entirely via distance learning, meaning you will complete your learning either from home or a place that suits you. Full tutor support will be available via email, so if you have any questions or need some guidance, your tutor will be here to help. Your course materials will include a series of self-assessment exercises and tutor-marked questions to allow both yourself and your tutor to monitor your progress.
The study method you choose depends on your personal learning style. Your options are:
- Study pack: if you choose the study pack option, you will be sent a set of printed course materials.
- Study online: if you choose this option, you will be sent your login details to our online portal through which you will access your course materials digitally. You can access your course via a desktop/laptop computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will receive a certificate of achievement in Caring for the Elderly Level 3 from the Quality License Scheme. You will also receive a learner unit summary which will list the components you have completed as part of your course.
This course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality course materials. This Quality Licence Scheme endorses high-quality, non-regulated provisions and training programmes. This course and/or training programme is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. Your training provider will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example, progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the learner FAQs on the Quality Licence Scheme website.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
- Dedicated personal tutor support with unlimited email access.
- Dedicated learner services from our learner services team.
- Course materials with learning activities.
- Assignment marking and feedback from your personal tutor.
- A free CV critique service and employability guide if you’re focusing on career advancement.
- A free XO Student Discounts membership to save you money on your favourite brands.
- A study pack including a pen, study planner, and notebook*.
* Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need is included in the cost of your course.
You will complete your assignments from home and send your work to your tutor for them to mark. They will return the assignment to you once they have marked it with detailed feedback and pointers for your next assignment.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.