Caring for the Elderly Level 3
Start a rewarding career in Care, from home! As life expectancy continues to improve in the UK, the percentage of over-65s is increasing significantly. This requires a growing care sector that has specific skills designed to care for the elderly.
- Work within the Care Quality Commission guidelines with knowledge of all relevant legislation
- Develop positive relationships with elderly members of the community to provide high-quality care
- Provide person-centred care in a way that looks after the health, safety and welfare of individuals
- Recognise specific conditions and the associated care needs of the individual
All course materials will be delivered to you by post or via email, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way by email.
You can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by post or via email, so handling in an assignment is simple.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 120 hours.
You will receive your certificate in achievement in Caring for the Elderly Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- The Care Quality Commission
- Types of care available to the elderly
- Roles of workers within health and social care
- Safeguarding of vulnerable adults (SOVA)
- Categories of abuse
- Procedure in circumstances where abuse is suspected
- Legislation: The Data Protection Act
- The Human Rights Act
- Equality and Diversity
- Principles of person-centred care
- Care planning
- Record keeping
- Verbal communication
- Non-verbal communication
- Health and Safety Legislation (1974)
- Risk assessment
- COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health)
- Cleaning agents and chemicals
- Bodily fluids
- Administering and storing medication
- Moving and handling
- Transferring service users
- Infection control
- Signs of malnutrition
- Types of dementia
- Diagnosing dementia
- Support services
- Difficulties particular to dementia
- Activities that help people with dementia
- The Mental Capacity Act
- Deprivation of Liberties Act
- End of life care
- Gold Standards Framework
- Care of the skin
- Prevention of pressure sores
- Congestive heart failure
- High blood pressure
- Lung disease
- Problems with valves
This course is assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your tutor. There is no external examination required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 120 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
The course is designed for distance learning at home or at work. Students will receive all course materials by postal delivery or email. You’ll also receive tutor support by email.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website.
This course has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
Dedicated personal tutor support
Dedicated student support
Assignment marking and feedback
FREE CV writing service
FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
FREE XO Student Discounts card
* Comprehensive study guide
* Exclusive Open Study College Pen
* Student study planner
* Three colour highlighter
* Student notebook
* Document wallet
Not included with the online study option
No. Everything you need is included in the price!
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.