Caring for the Elderly and Dementia Care QLS Level 3
Learn more about caring for the elderly and those with dementia with this Caring for the Elderly and Dementia Care bundle course.
- This course is a great addition to your CV if you currently work in social care and are looking to expand your knowledge of caring for the elderly.
- Improve your knowledge of how you can provide person-centred care tailored to individuals in your care.
- Learn more about relevant legislation and how you can safeguard vulnerable adults.
- Understand what dementia is and the causes.
- Study from home at your own pace.
This Caring for the Elderly and Dementia Care Level 3 bundle course is ideal for anyone already working in the care sector who is looking to improve their knowledge of how they provide effective care for the elderly and those with dementia.
During this course, you’ll learn more about the Care Quality Commission, common conditions in the elderly, how you can enhance relationships through communication, and the health and safety considerations you need to be aware of when caring for the elderly. You’ll develop your understanding of the signs, forms, and causes of dementia, as well as how to communicate effectively with someone with dementia, how to manage their daily care and behaviours, and how to provide palliative care for dementia patients.
Up to two years.
Approximately 160 hours.
On successful completion of this course, you will receive two certificates of achievement in Caring for the Elderly Level 3 and Dementia Care Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- The Care Quality Commission
- Types of care available to the elderly
- Roles of workers within health and social care
- Safeguarding of vulnerable adults (SOVA)
- Categories of abuse
- Procedure in circumstances where abuse is suspected
- Legislation: The Data Protection Act
- The Human Rights Act
- Equality and Diversity
- Principles of person-centred care
- Care planning
- Record keeping
- Verbal communication
- Non-verbal communication
- Health and Safety Legislation (1974)
- Risk assessment
- COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health)
- Cleaning agents and chemicals
- Bodily fluids
- Administering and storing medication
- Moving and handling
- Transferring service users
- Infection control
- Signs of malnutrition
- Types of dementia
- Diagnosing dementia
- Support services
- Difficulties particular to dementia
- Activities that help people with dementia
- The Mental Capacity Act
- Deprivation of Liberties Act
- End of life care
- Gold Standards Framework
- Care of the skin
- Prevention of pressure sores
- Congestive heart failure
- High blood pressure
- Lung disease
- Problems with valves
- The history of dementia
- Warning signs of dementia
- Three stages of dementia
- Different forms of dementia
- The causes of dementia
- Regions of the brain
- The nervous system
- Protein plaque and tangles
- Care settings
- Patient-centred care
- Bad practice and abuse
- What help does a carer give?
- Reality orientation (RO) and routine tasks
- Verbal communication
- Non-verbal communication
- Back to basics
- Daily care tasks
- Managing behaviours
- What is end of life or palliative care?
- How is palliative care administered?
- Causes of death in dementia patients
- Protocols and guidelines
- Dealing with grief and anticipatory grief
This course is assessed by a series of assignments which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination or practical work is required, so you can complete all assessed work from home.
You may start at any time and have two full years to complete your studies (one year for each course in this bundle). We suggest that the course will take approximately 160 hours to complete. This allows you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines.
This course will be studied entirely via distance learning, meaning you will complete your learning either from home or a place that suits you. Full tutor support will be available via email, so if you have any questions or need some guidance, your tutor will be here to help. Your course materials will include a series of self-assessment exercises and tutor-marked questions to allow both yourself and your tutor to monitor your progress.
The study method you choose depends on your personal learning style. Your options are:
- Study pack: if you choose the study pack option, you will be sent a set of printed course materials.
- Study online: if you choose this option, you will be sent your login details to our online portal through which you will access your course materials digitally. You can access your course via a desktop/laptop computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will receive two certificates of achievement in Caring for the Elderly Level 3 and Dementia Care Level 3 from the Quality License Scheme. You will also receive a learner unit summary which will list the components you have completed as part of your course.
This course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality course materials. This Quality Licence Scheme endorses high-quality, non-regulated provisions and training programmes. This course and/or training programme is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. Your training provider will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example, progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the learner FAQs on the Quality Licence Scheme website.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol on this course.
- Dedicated personal tutor support with unlimited email access.
- Dedicated learner services from our learner services team.
- Course materials with learning activities.
- Assignment marking and feedback from your personal tutor.
- A free CV critique service and employability guide if you’re focusing on career advancement.
- A free XO Student Discounts membership to save you money on your favourite brands.
- A study pack including a pen, study planner, and notebook*.
* Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need is included in the cost of your course.
You will complete your assignments from home and send your work to your tutor for them to mark. They will return the assignment to you once they have marked it with detailed feedback and pointers for your next assignment.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.