Canine Science and Dog Training QLS Level 3
Are you a dog lover? Maybe you want to learn about the science behind canines and how to train man’s best friend? Well, with this bundle you can do just that, from home!
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the canine special senses
- Explore the role of canines in society
- Recognise common canine behaviours and how dogs learn
- Learn the similarities and differences between dogs and wolves
- Understand the evolution and domestication of the canine
- Investigate the history of dog training
- Explain the learning theory for canines
- Know the mechanisms of learning and behaviour, body language and bond building
- Understand how to train a puppy
- Learn how to teach basic exercises, praise and reward and recognising stress in dogs and owners
- Discover rally, fly ball, agility and other dog sports
All course materials will be delivered to you by post or via email, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way by email.
You can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by post or via email, so handing in an assignment is simple.
Up to 2 years.
Approximately 160 hours.
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Canine Science Level 3 and a Certificate of Achievement in Dog Training Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course
- The evolution from Canis lupus to Canis familiaris
- The domestication of the canine
- The diversity of Canis familiaris
- Common genetic disorders in the dog
- Why humans have required certain characteristics in dogs
- The major similarities between dogs and wolves
- The anatomical differences between dogs and wolves
- The importance, advantages and disadvantages of selective breeding
- Commonly seen dog behaviours and compare with the wolf
- The importance of canine communication
- How understanding dog behaviour enhances the training process
- The history of dog training
- The roles of the canine in society since known domestication
- The changing role of the dog in society
- The importance of dogs as pets
- The importance of working dogs
- The purpose of good nutrition
- The digestive tract and impact of poor nutrition
- The need for breed-specific nutrition and breed-size-specific nutrition
- The importance of correct life-stage nutrition
- The function and role of the special senses
- The adaptation of the special senses
- The differences between sight and scent hounds
- Anatomical and possible behavioural problems associated with the special senses
- Development of dog training
- Problems with dog training methods
- Principles and objectives
- Learning theories
- Assumptions and unconscious beliefs
- Dynamics of communication
- Learn to earn
- Dogs body language
- Building bonds
- Welcoming a new puppy
- Socialisation and habitualisation
- Developmental deadlines
- Canine adolescence
- House training
- Teaching tricks
- Positive and negative reinforcement
- Clicker training works
- UK Rally
- Tracking and training
This course is assessed by a series of assignments which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
Once enrolled, you will have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course), which will allow you to work at your own pace without the pressure of tight deadlines. You will also receive 12 months tutor support for each course, so you can feel confident that you’ll get the help you need. Studying around your work and family commitments has never been easier.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work; it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted or emailed to you online, whichever you choose. You will also receive our tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive two Certificates of Achievement from the Quality License Scheme and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality. The Quality Licence Scheme, endorses high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme has been endorsed by the Quality Licence Scheme for its high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. Your training provider will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality Licence Scheme website.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol on to this course. Although we do recommend a Level 2 in Animal Care would be beneficial.
You may start at any time and have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course). This bundle is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
Dedicated personal tutor support
Dedicated student support
Assignment marking and feedback
FREE CV critique service
FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
* Comprehensive study guide
* Open Study College pen and highlighter
* Student notebook
*Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need is included in the price!
You will send your work to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course you will achieve a Certificate of Achievement in Canine Science Level 3 and a Certificate of Achievement in Dog Training Level 3.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.