Canine Science QLS Level 3
Study everything you need to know about man's best friend.
- Study the fascinating history and evolution of the canine
- Explore the differences between dogs and their wolf ancestors
- Learn about the psychology of canine learning and behaviour
- Learn how to provide the correct nutrition for dogs of a variety of breeds and ages
This fascinating course is designed to meet the needs of dog owners and those wishing to work in an environment with canine animals, such as boarding kennels, rescue homes and training schools.
The course allows you to study the fascinating history and evolution of the canine, exploring the differences between dogs and their wolf ancestors. You will also have the chance to learn about the psychology of canine learning and behaviour, anatomy and physiology, the varied roles of dogs in society, as well as how to provide the correct nutrition for dogs of a variety of breeds and ages.
If you’ve always wanted to understand dogs in depth, then this course is for you!
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 80 hours.
Canine Science Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Tutor marked assignments.
- The evolution from Canis lupus to Canis familiaris
- The domestication of the canine
- The diversity of Canis familiaris
- Common genetic disorders in the dog
- Why humans have required certain characteristics in dogs
- The major similarities between dogs and wolves
- The anatomical differences between dogs and wolves
- The importance, advantages and disadvantages of selective breeding
- Commonly seen dog behaviours and compare with the wolf
- The importance of canine communication
- How understanding dog behaviour enhances the training process
- The history of dog training
- The roles of the canine in society since known domestication
- The changing role of the dog in society
- The importance of dogs as pets
- The importance of working dogs
- The purpose of good nutrition
- The digestive tract and impact of poor nutrition
- The need for breed-specific nutrition and breed-size-specific nutrition
- The importance of correct life-stage nutrition
- The function and role of the special senses
- The adaptation of the special senses
- The differences between sight and scent hounds
- Anatomical and possible behavioural problems associated with the special senses
You will be assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 80 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work; it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted or emailed to you online, whichever you choose. You will also receive our tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from the Quality License Scheme and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality. The Quality Licence Scheme, endorses high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme has been endorsed by the Quality Licence Scheme for its high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. Your training provider will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality Licence Scheme website.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College Pen and highlighter
- * Student notebook
* Not included with the online study option
No. Your certification is issued based on your tutor-marked assignments.
No. Everything you need is included in the price!
You will send your assignments to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course, you will be awarded your Canine Science Level 3 Certificate of Achievement.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.