Animal Care and Animal Behaviour
- Explore the anatomy and physiology of dogs and cats.
- Investigate health and safety within the veterinary practice.
- Understand the main needs of an animal.
- Devise suitable feeding plans.
- Learn how to set up suitable accommodation.
- Know how to handle animals in the correct way.
- Understand the study of the ethics involved in the care, farming and conservation of animals.
- Covers the legal, ethical, commercial, agricultural and conservational aspects of animal welfare.
- From marine life and elephants in the wild to ethical farming in the UK, this course provides maximum coverage of welfare topics for different animals and their habitats.
Animal behaviourists and animal carers enjoy a diverse range of career opportunities, ranging from zookeeping and professional pet training, right through to wildlife conservation and working for animal charities. This bundle of two of our most popular courses, Animal Care and Animal Behaviour, ensures that you know how to meet the moral and legal requirements of caring for animals, as well as equipping you with a clear understanding of animal behaviour.
All course materials will be delivered to you by post or via email, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way by email.
You can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by post or via email, so handing in an assignment is simple.
These courses can be enrolled onto separately, but by enrolling onto this combined course you will receive a considerable discount.
Up to 2 years.
Approximately 160 hours.
You will receive two certificates of completion in Animal Care Level 2 and Animal Behaviour Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- What is animal behaviour?
- The study of animal behaviour
- Methods and recording
- The food chain
- Evolutionary arms race
- Adaptations to capture prey
- Luring prey
- Crypsis (Camouflage, transparency, sleep cycles)
- How animals communicate
- Competition from other species
- Communication and the senses
- Visual displays
- Group or solitary?
- Hierarchy systems in group living animals
- Attracting a potential mate
- Mating systems and parental responsibility
- Monogamy and polygyny
- Mating systems
- What is domestication?
- How does domestication change the animal?
- Hormones and their effects
- Abnormal behaviours
- Simple learning theories
- Animal learning in training
- Human influence
- Ethics in training and the welfare of animals
- Animal intelligence
- Training animals
- Types of feeder
- Nutritional requirements
- Choosing and preparing food
- Quantity and timing of feeding
- Housing requirements
- Bedding materials
- Fixtures and fittings
- Cleaning and maintaining
- Waste disposal
- Disease prevention
- Common diseases of dogs, cats and rabbits
- Endoparasites and ectoparasites
- Signs of ill health
- First aid procedures and remedies
- Why do we need to handle, restrain and move animals?
- Personal protective equipment
- Handling and restraint equipment
- Reducing stress
- Normal behaviour
- Specific species
- Abnormal behaviour
- Stereotypic behaviour
- Observing behaviour
- Methods and recording
- Avoiding/reducing abnormal behaviour
- Environmental enrichment
- Welfare needs
- How can we meet these needs?
- The Animal Welfare Act 2006
- Current legislation
- Animals in production
- Intensive farming
- Free-range farming
- Organic farming
- Animals in sport
- Animals as assistance
This combined course is assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to and marked by your tutor. There is no external examination required.
Once enrolled, you will have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course), which will allow you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines. You will also receive 12 months tutor support for each course, so you can feel confident that you’ll get the help you need. This bundle will take you approximately 160 hours. Studying around your work and family commitments has never been easier.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work; it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted or emailed to you online, whichever you choose. You will also receive our tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive two Certificate’s of Achievement by Training Qualifications UK (TQUK).
The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards your Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector.
The course itself has been designed by Open Study College to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements. The course has been endorsed by TQUK. This means Open Study College have undergone external quality checks to ensure that the organisation and the courses’ it offers meet a high standard. Regular reviews of our courses are carried out as part of the endorsement process.
The course depth and study has been benchmarked at Level 2 and Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol on to this course.
You may start at any time and have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course). This bundle is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated learner services
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College pen and highlighter
- * Student notebook
* Not included with the online study option
No. We will issue certification based on your coursework alone.
No, everything you need is included in the price!
Once we receive your work we will mark it and return it to you. On successful completion of the course you will be awarded your Animal Care Level 2 and Animal Behaviour Level 3 Certificates.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.