Cake Making Level 2 and Starting Your Own Business Level 3
Whether you're making a celebration cake or decorative cupcakes, this course provides you with the foundation and fundamental skills to get creative.
- Understand the basic skills, theories and approaches used to create beautiful, inventive and decorative cakes.
- Explore the different equipment used to make cakes.
- Understand sugar craft and icing techniques, and how to use them in decorating your cake.
- Learn the key steps you will need to consider when planning and creating your business to increase your chances of success and minimise risk.
- Understand how to market your business, identifying competition and setting pricing and branding strategies.
- Plan how to provide for the individual needs of customers and prepare for the obstacles and opportunities that will arise in your venture.
This course will allow you to study at your own pace and when it suits you. With no deadlines or timetables to stick to, studying with Open Study College is a simple, hassle-free way to achieve your career goals.
You can submit your assignments by post or email, whichever suits you! And your coursework will be marked by our friendly and experienced tutors, who will provide you with unlimited email support throughout your studies.
Up to two years.
You will receive two Certificates of Achievement in Cake Making Level 2 and Starting Your Own Business Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Cake Making Level 2
- Basic chemistry of baking
- Functions of the main ingredients
- Cake chemistry
- Gluten in baking
- Equipment used for baking
- Electric mixers
- Scales and measurers
- Different types of tins
- Cooling racks
- Icing guns and smoothers
- Spacers and levellers
- Dowling, tiers and spacers
- Piping and embellishing
- Textures of cakes
- Types of cakes
- Multi-tiered cakes
- Sculpting cakes
- Layer cakes
- Cake fillings
- Design a cake from scratch
- Selecting cake types
- Trial and error
- Plan a cake
- Potential obstacles
- Fondant icing
- Royal Icing
- Butter cream
- Sugar paste
- Introduction to sugar craft
- Creating flowers and petals
- Sugar paste
- Modelling paste
- Colour visual effects
Starting Your Own Business Level 3
- Why start your own business?
- Character and motivation
- Before you start: managing yourself and planning
- Market research
- Sales and profits
- Financial planning
- Employing people
- Stock and asset management
- Deciding on the form of your business (sole trader, partnership, limited company)
- How to decide what is best for you
- Setting goals for yourself
- Your product or service
- Value for money
- Segmenting your market
- Identifying your potential customers
- Promoting your business
- Before sale
- After sale
- Understanding your business finances
- Working with figures
- Break-event point
- Fixed and current assets
- Cash flow
- Sources of finance
- Managing your money
- Why do you need a business plan?
- The format and structure of your business plan
- Yourself, your people. your values, your mission
- Your business model
- Your market
- Your competition
- Profit forecast
This course is assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your tutor to be marked. There is no external examination required.
Once enrolled, you will have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course), which will allow you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines. You will also receive 12 months tutor support for each course, so you can feel confident that you’ll get the help you need.
You will study this course via distance learning, allowing you to learn wherever and whenever it suits you. With our choice of flexible study methods, you can choose the option that suits your learning style. If you choose to study online, you’ll be able to start studying through our online learning portal as soon as you receive your login details. If you choose a study pack, we will have your learning materials delivered to your door. You will also receive unlimited tutor support by email, meaning help and guidance is only ever a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive two Certificates of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example, progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website.
This course has been benchmarked at Level 2 and 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
You may start at any time and have up to two years to complete this bundle (one year per course). The time limit and flexibility of this course allows to complete your studies at your own pace.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV writing service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College pen and highlighter
- * Student study planner
- * Student notebook
- * Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need is included in the price!
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.