Addiction Counselling Level 3
This course is suitable for beginners who are considering a career in counselling.
- Gain a solid foundation of knowledge in the different types and causes of addiction.
- Understand the theory behind different counselling approaches and skills.
- Learn more about the support systems available to your clients and their families to help them cope.
- This course is approved by the ACCPH (Accredited Counsellors, Coaches, Psychotherapists and Hypnotherapists).
There is a national shortage of qualified therapists able to help people overcome problems associated with addiction. Thousands of people suffer from addictive behaviour and many seek professional help to overcome it.
If you are already working as a counsellor, this is an excellent opportunity to specialise in the area of addiction and addictive behaviour. However, the course may also appeal to novices who are considering a career in counselling.
At the end of this course, students will be able to join and become a member of the ACCPH. The ACCPH is an independent self-regulated professional body for counsellors, psychotherapists and hypnotherapists.
Up to one year.
Approximately 100 hours.
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- Core skills and competencies of counselling
- Aims and objectives of counselling
- Key theoretical principles that underpin counselling
- Scope of counselling
- How to establish and maintain the counselling relationship
- Importance of relationship boundaries in addiction counselling
- Ethical principles and how they apply to counselling contexts
- Concepts and processes of transference and countertransference
- Theoretical principles for each approach
- Clients each approach is suitable for
- Specialist skills required for each approach
- Key similarities and differences between each approach
- The physiology of addiction
- The psychology of addiction
- Predisposition to addiction
- Processes of relapse linked to physiological and psychological changes
- Substance and alcohol addiction
- Common features of addiction
- How counsellors need to adapt their approach for each type of addiction
- Challenges of each addiction with regard to social, family and wide-ranging impacts
- Explain the challenges of co-occurring diagnoses
- How stereotyping and labelling affects the counselling process
- Challenges of denial and ambivalence
- Social and family support systems and how these impact recovery
You will be assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 100 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
This course will enable you to work when and where you want. You can study from home or at work; it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted or emailed to you online, whichever you choose. You will also receive our tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website.
This course has been benchmarked at level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
No previous knowledge or skills are required to enrol onto this course.
• Dedicated personal tutor support
• Dedicated student support
• Assignment marking and feedback
• FREE XO Student Discounts card
• FREE CV critique service
• FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
• *Comprehensive study guide
• *Open Study College pen and highlighter
• *Student study planner
• *Student notebook
• *Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
No. Your certification is issued based on your tutor-marked assignments alone.
No. Everything you need is included in the price!
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.