Palaeontology Level 3
Boost your knowledge and understanding of the fascinating subject of palaeontology, from home!
- Discuss how life evolved on Earth
- Explain how and why fossils were formed
- Describe the methods required to recover fossils
- Summarise the history of palaeontology
- Classify the different types of fossils that can be found
- Evaluate what we can learn from studying palaeontology
This course will allow you to study when and where you want, at your own pace. All coursework can be submitted by post or email making it simple and hassle-free.
All of the materials will be delivered to you by post or email, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors are always a click away by email, giving you a full year’s worth of support and advice to help get you through your course!
Up to 1 year.
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Palaeontology Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- Describe what palaeontology is
- The main events in the history of palaeontology
- Key early palaeontologists
- Why we study palaeontology
- Formation of the Earth
- Main stages in geological evolution
- Theories behind the evolution of life
- Why explosions of life and mass extinctions have occurred throughout history
- Explain what a fossil is
- Different modes of preservation
- Main fossil-bearing rock types
- Trace fossils
- Equipment and methods
- Ethics of fossil collecting
- How fossils are prepared and cleaned
- How fossil finds are recorded
- Darwin’s theory of evolution and the fossil record
- Fossil record and what it has taught us
- Development of modern techniques
- ‘Ancient survivors’ and ‘living fossils’
This course is assessed by a series of assignments, which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
You will have a full year from enrolment to complete this course. This is enough time to study at your own pace.
This course will allow you to work at home or at work. All materials for the course will be received by post or email. You will also get tutor support by email.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website.
This course has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
No qualifications or skills are needed to enrol onto this course.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. It is truly flexible and is designed to be adaptable around your lifestyle and other commitments.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV writing service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College pen and highlighter
- * Student study planner
- * Student notebook
- * Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
You will send your work to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course you will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Palaeontology Level 3.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.