A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Full Stack Developer to join the development team at Open Study College (OSC).
OSC is a family founded distance learning college helping people to achieve their dreams via flexible further education. We offer over 700 courses and accreditations that have been designed for people to study from home, around their lifestyle. Whether our learners want to study to progress their career, retrain, or get to uni, we’re here to get them where they need to be.
The Package: A competitive package inclusive of a basic salary of between £38,000 - £45,000 (depending on experience). Progression opportunities are available to the right candidate. Plus, a wide range of benefits and perks.
Hours: Permanent position, full time 37.5 hours per week – 8.30am – 5pm (Monday - Friday). Hybrid working – 2 days in the office, 3 days at home.
Location: Solihull B37.
What's on offer:
- A fabulous range of additional benefits, including 22 days holiday as standard plus bank holidays with additional leave throughout and your birthday off.
- Subsidised Bupa private medical insurance membership.
- Excellent training, and progression opportunities are available to the right candidates.
Perks of working at OSC
- A “Pick Me Up” Day - an extra holiday day to focus on your wellbeing.
- Time off for family commitments.
- Christmas Eve off if it falls on a working day.
- A birthday gift.
- Referral scheme – up to £300.
- Extra holiday and other benefits for length of service!
- After successfully passing probation, you can study one of our courses!
- On-site parking.
- Discounted childcare on Birmingham Business Park – subject to availability.
- Career progression.
- World-class training.
- Internal awards, with prizes for recognition.
- Legendary Christmas party! Did someone say free bar!
- And generally, a professional, fun, friendly and inclusive culture. We’re a close-knit team and take any opportunity we can to get together and celebrate the successes, whether that be a company-wide summer BBQ or cakes and beers in the office!
Who we are Looking for
We’re on the lookout for a talented and passionate Full Stack Developer, someone who wants to be a significant part of a small, collaborative cross-functional team that loves working together to build incredible products.
You will have had experience working within the full software development lifecycle with both front end and back end technologies and constantly keeping an eye on the latest trends.
You are able to work as part of a team but at times, autonomously. You are detail-oriented and mindful of writing clean code whilst displaying a real passion for the web development industry. Strong communication skills and an ability to communicate and generate ideas, theories, and technical concepts are also essential.
You’re enthusiastic about tech and keen to learn new front-end or back-end frameworks where you will be afforded the opportunity to grow and progress whilst helping to help shape the team's future and the technologies we use.
You will get the chance to work on a set of digital transformation projects where you will play an important role in the entire project lifecycle.
You will be responsible for helping devise the technology stack so it is essential you are able to bring your own flair and enthusiasm to the exciting and challenging products we have in the pipeline utilising technologies such as NodeJS, Deno, Remix.run, Storybook, Prisma and Planetscale.
This is a role that you can make your own, and if you are passionate about self-development, implementing new technologies and being a part of some exciting up and coming projects then this is an excellent opportunity to progress and grow with the business.
What the Job Involves
As a Full Stack Developer for OSC, you will get the chance to work on the latest cutting-edge technologies and be a part of an exciting digital transformation to take us to the next phase of our mission to empower our learners to be afforded the opportunity to change their careers.
You will get the chance to help define and shape a new technology stack for our upcoming digital transformation projects. Our legacy stack uses PHP Laravel so although not essential for this role, having some knowledge of this would be useful.
You will be a key part of a small, agile team in the development of a new e-commerce website and an exciting MVP. Here you will be responsible for collaborating and mentoring individuals in the development team, developing ideas, designing database models and schema, collaborating on the architectural decisions, playing a part in building microservices with APIs, adopting a TDD approach, helping build a robust CI/CD, write technical documentation and help estimate and plan out projects with stakeholders.
You will have the chance to instil your ideas on the team and the business for our digital transformation projects and we are hot on collaboration so being able to work closely with the wider teams is important in being able to improve processes for everyone continuously.
- At least 3 years of working in a collaborative, cross-functional development environment.
- Design and development of modern full-stack web applications with emphasis on micro-services architecture and design patterns
- Building backend services (Node.js, express or equivalent) and their communication protocols (GraphQL or RESTful)
- Experience working with relational databases (ideally MySQL/PostgreSQL)
- Building reusable components with a solid understanding of TDD. (Storybook, E2E Testing, Unit Testing and Integration Testing).
- Experience with CI/CD workflows and setting up pipelines using e.g. Github actions
- Expert Knowledge of HTML and CSS/SCSS
- Comfortable working in the command line, including the use of git version control and task runners
- Keep pace with rapid innovation in web technologies and exhibit a desire to push limitations.
- Work with the development team to continually improve our process and workflow.
- Experience with e-commerce platforms (eg. Shopify)
- An understanding of Cloud-based Infrastructure (eg. AWS, Fly.io)
- An understanding of frontend performance aspects, analysis and optimisation
- An understanding of containerised development environments such as Docker
- Driven to keep up-to-date with the latest development best practices
If you are interested in learning more about this role, please send your CV to us, as well as links to any code examples or case studies where you have used your expertise to deliver challenging briefs. The recruitment process may also require the completion of a technical assessment. We aim to respond to everyone and thank all applicants in advance for their interest.
Due to GDPR, OSC Recruitment will not be able to retain your personal information unless you have registered with us.