Fiction Writing QLS Level 3
Always wanted to become an author of short stories and novels?
- Develop an understanding of the elements that make a successful work of fiction
- Learn how to use these ideas to provide structure to your creativity and put your ideas into a larger fictional project
- Learn new methods to create characters, develop setting and create authentic speech
- Learn how to devise exciting, page-turning plotlines.
This fascinating course is designed to help you get started on your way to becoming a fiction writer!
Through gathering a range of techniques and really honing your writer’s craft, you will develop your fictional writing skills to a more professional standard, gaining the foundational skills you need for success as a fiction writer.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 120 hours.
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Fiction Writing Level 3
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Tutor Marked Assignments
- Compose a short piece of autobiographical writing
- Explain why, where and how you like to write, and describe your writing voice
- Develop a character using some of your own characteristics
- Develop a piece of fiction using your character
- Create a character sketch
- Create a description of setting from memory demonstrating use of the five senses
- Demonstrate original fiction writing that presents character and setting
- Produce a 200 word plan of a larger piece of work developing your character and/or setting
- Critically evaluate the techniques used in monologue and dialogue through analysis of examples
- Produce a critical evaluation of a monologue
- Demonstrate the use of dialogue
- Demonstrate the use of monologue form
- Recognise and demonstrate the use of figurative language
- Demonstrate skills of ‘showing not telling’ in writing
- Demonstrate an ability to show character emotion
- Produce an original example of fiction demonstrating the use of ‘showing not telling’ skills, character emotion and figurative language
- Identify your favourite genre and outline the features present
- Make a plan that incorporates the development of a plot
- Produce an original piece of writing in a chosen genre
- Produce a commentary on the genre specific feature of your writing
- Produce an extended piece of original fiction
- Write a synopsis of your idea and how the work will develop
- Write a review of your own writing
- Produce a development plan detailing the next steps in your writing
You will be assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
The course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. Students will receive all course materials by post, as well as tutor support by email.
You may start at any time and have up to a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 120 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from the Quality License Scheme and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality. The Quality Licence Scheme, endorses high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme has been endorsed by the Quality Licence Scheme for its high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. Your training provider will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality Licence Scheme website.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- *Comprehensive study guide
- *Open Study College pen and highlighter
- *Student study planner
- *Student notebook
- *Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
No. Your certification is issued based on your tutor-marked assignments.
No. Everything you need is included in the price!
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.