Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
Kick-start your career as a fitness instructor, from home!
- Become a REPs recognised gym instructor
- Develop an understanding of all you need to know to become a qualified Gym Instructor
- Gain entry on to the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at level 2
- Gain 20 CPD points for REPs membership
- Attend a 1-day practical assessment/exams at a gym in Birmingham
- Study your theory knowledge at home, at your own pace
This Active IQ Level 2 Award provides an excellent knowledge base for fitness instruction and students will achieve a nationally recognised qualification in fitness instruction. This course is suitable for beginners and have no prior qualifications in fitness training.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 157 hours to complete.
You will receive your ActiveIQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction.
Students must be 16 or over to enrol on this course and a degree of physical fitness is necessary to complete the practical assessments.
2 multiple choice exams, a practical assessment, coursework and a portfolio.
- Structure and function of the circulatory system
- Structure and function of the respiratory system
- Structure and function of the skeleton
- Joints in the skeleton
- Muscular system
- Life-course of the musculoskeletal system and its implications for special populations exercise
- Energy systems and their relation to exercise
- Nervous system and its relation to exercise
- Form effective working relationships with clients
- Address barriers to exercise/ physical activity that clients experience
- Support clients to adhere to exercise/physical activity
- Provide on-going customer service to clients
- Emergency procedures in a fitness environment
- Health and safety requirements in a fitness environment
- Control risks in a fitness environment
- Safeguard children and vulnerable adults
- Effects of exercise on the body
- Components of fitness
- Apply the principles and variables of fitness to an exercise programme
- Exercise contraindications and key safety guidelines for special populations
- Safely monitor exercise intensity
- Health benefits of physical activity
- Importance of healthy eating
- Collect client information to plan gym-based exercise
- Use client information to plan gym-based exercise
- Plan gym-based exercise with clients
- Collect and use client information to plan a gym-based exercise programme
- Plan a safe and effective gym-based exercise programme with clients
- How to provide gym-based exercise
- Prepare self and equipment for gym-based exercise
- Prepare clients for gym-based exercise
- Instruct gym-based exercise
- Supervise clients undertaking gym-based exercise
- Bring a gym-based exercise session to an end
- Reflect on providing gym-based exercise
- Support clients taking part in gym-based exercise
This course is assessed by a variety of methods, including 2 multiple-choice examinations, a practical assessment, coursework and a portfolio. Unit 6 formative assessment is assessed via a video. Students are asked to film themselves instructing 5 exercises taken from their program cards in unit 5.
On the assessment day you will complete the remaining mandatory units of your course. Units 1, 4 and 6.
Unit 1 – Anatomy & Physiology for exercise (multiple choice exam)
Unit 4 – Principles of exercise fitness and health (multiple choice exam)
Unit 6 – Practical assessment – Instructing a client through 11 exercises taken from your program cards in Unit 5.
Once you have passed your assessments, you may book your exam/practical assessment. Simply call us whenever you’re ready and we’ll provide you with the details for arranging this. The exam/practical sessions are run on a student demand basis, with 8 students taking the exam/practical sessions at a time. The practical component will take place at a venue in Birmingham.
To attend an assessment day, you must have submitted and passed your E-learning, Units 2, 3, 5 and your formative assessment.
This course will take approximately 157 hours to complete. Students will receive a full year to complete the course. This allows you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work; it is completely up to you. You will receive access to an online learning platform including a variety of visual, audio and text-based presentations. You will also have a personal tutor to support you through your course, so help is only a click away!
E-Learning System Requirements
You will need Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer, which can be downloaded free of charge from the Adobe website. You will also need to ensure your computer is able to play sound as some of the videos include audio.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive an ActiveIQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction. This means that you will achieve a Level 2 qualification on The Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In addition, you will earn 20 CPD point for REPs membership.
Active IQ are one of the UK’s leading awarding organisations for the active leisure, learning and wellbeing sector and are recognised and regulated by Ofqual, Qualifications Wales and CCEA. They design qualifications that support clearly defined career pathways for the active leisure sector.
Your qualification is accredited by Active IQ, one of the UK’s leading Ofqual approved awarding bodies in the health, fitness and active leisure sector. This qualification will provide level 2 entry onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs). REPs is an independent public register which provides regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet National Occupational Standards agreed by the health and fitness industry. This will enable you to obtain public liability insurance to practise as a Gym Instructor.
Membership with REPs is valued and respected, enhancing employability, and is recognised in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
Open Study College is endorsed by PD: Approval and our qualifications are recognised by REPs.
Students must be 16 or over to enrol on this course and a degree of physical fitness is necessary to complete the practical assessments. It is also recommended that you have some experience of gym-based exercise, including free weights, and basic level communication skills.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. It is truly flexible and is designed to be adaptable around your lifestyle and other commitments.
Once you have passed your Learner Achievement Portfolio, you may book to confirm your attendance. Simply email your tutor who will advise you on assessment dates. Alternatively call us whenever you’re ready and we’ll provide you with the details for arranging this. The practical sessions are run on a student demand basis, with 8 students taking the practical sessions at a time.
- Practical assessment and examination based in a fitness centre in Birmingham
- Online learning platform
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV writing service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.