Introduction to Professional Make-Up With Practical Training
Discover how to apply professional make-up with a combination of a theory knowledge course and a one-day practical session!
- Learn how to apply flawless professional make-up.
- Understand how to prepare the skin before applying make-up.
- Recognise different skin types, skin tones and face shapes.
- Take on a one-day practical training.
- Apply for and obtain professional insurance, allowing you to offer makeup services to clients.
You can study this course when and where you like, at your own pace. Fitting your studying around other commitments is easy and hassle-free.
This course also includes a one-day practical training enabling you to acquire the practical skills. So, you can put your knowledge into practice!
Start your journey and develop your skills join over 90,000 students that already have!
On completion you will be eligible to apply for insurance which will allow you to offer professional makeup services to clients.
Up to 1 year.
You will be eligible to apply for professional insurance, allowing you to offer makeup services to clients.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course but you need to ensure you are able to travel to Coventry for the practical.
Tutor-marked assignments and a practical training day.
- Facial treatments
- Skin structure
- Skin analysis
- Lip and eye make-up cleanse
- Superficial/deep cleanse
- Toning products and procedures
- Client record card and treatment plan
- Contraindications to treatment
- Mask therapy
- Facial massage
- Eyelash and brow treatments
- Skin test or patch test
- Eyelash tinting
- Eyebrow tinting and shaping
- False eyelash application
- Eyelash perming
- Strip lashes
- Semi-permanent mascara
- Make-up consultation
- Record card and treatment plan
- Product formulations
- Labelling of ingredients
- Common ingredients of skincare and make-up products
- Mineral make-up
- Product use and information
- Client preparation
- Make-up brushes and tools
- Hygienic application of make-up
- General points of good practice
- Make-up application procedure
- Bridal make-up
- Consumer legislation
- Face and body art make-up
- Make-up colours
- Artificial tanning
- Airbrushing techniques
- Nail treatments and enamelling
- Nail art
- Make-up effects and tools
- Media make-up (theatre/fashion/photographic)
- Cosmetic camouflage
- Blood and blood supply
- The lymphatic system
- The skeleton
- Muscle tissue
- The skin (dermis, epidermis)
- Hair (follicles, structure, colour)
- Nerve endings
- Functions of the skin
- Disorders of the skin
- Sterilisation and hygiene
- Salon management
- Health and safety legislation
- Equal opportunities
- Communication and greeting clients
- Appearance and attitude
- Telephone manner
- Complaint handling
- Treatment of minors
- Data protection
- Teamwork and time management
- Codes of conduct, ethics and practise
- Preparing the skin
- Recognising skin types
- Recognising skin tones
- Recognising face shapes
- Delivering flawless make-up application
- Enhancing and concealing techniques
- Preparing and consulting with the client
The theory course will be assessed through a series of written assignments, which will be marked by your specialist course tutor. All coursework must be completed before you can proceed onto the practical day. You will also need to attend a day’s practical training held at a venue in Coventry.
**Due to COVID-19 practical’s are temporarily postponed until January 2021**
The course duration is one year but you may start at any time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines. Your practical day will last 6.5 hours.
The course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. You will receive your course materials through the post or online – whichever you decide! You will also need to attend a day’s practical training held at a venue in Coventry.
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement by Training Qualifications UK (TQUK) in Make-Up Artistry Level 3. You will also receive a Certificate in Make-Up from Ellison’s Academy.
You will also be able to obtain professional insurance through any beauty therapy insurer. This means you will legally be able to offer your makeup services to clients.
The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards your Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector.
The course itself has been designed by Open Study College to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements. The course has been endorsed by TQUK. This means Open Study College have undergone external quality checks to ensure that the organisation and the courses’ it offers meet a high standard. Regular reviews of our courses are carried out as part of the endorsement process.
The course depth and study has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual.
There are no requirements needed to enrol onto this course. However, an interest in applying professional make-up treatments and prior knowledge of the skin would be beneficial. You will also need to bring with you, your practical day professional make-up brushes, which we will send out to you once you are booked onto your practical day. You may wish to bring your own camera with you on your practical day in order to record your work.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies from when you have enrolled onto the course. This course is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
Once you have passed your written assignments, you may book your practical day. Simply call us whenever you’re ready and we’ll arrange this for you. You will also need to bring with you your practical day professional make-up brushes, which we will send to you once you are booked onto your practical day. Your practical day will be held at a venue in Coventry.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- One day practical training
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- FREE professional make up brushes (this will be sent to you when you have booked your practical day)
- *Comprehensive study guide
- *Open Study College pen and highlighter
- *Student study planner
- *Student notebook
- *Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
No. We will issue your certification based on your coursework and practical session.
No, everything you need is included in this course and practical day. The venue does have a supply warehouse next to it, so you are able to purchase equipment and products on the day if you wish to do so.
When you receive your work you will be required to work through the course and complete assignments at the end of each unit. Your course pack will contain a study guide with instructions on how to submit your work, which will be marked by your tutor. On successful completion of the make-up artist course and your practical day, you will be awarded your certificate.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.