Make-Up Artist Level 3
Do you have an interest in applying make-up? With this course, you can learn the skills and knowledge to become a make-up artist, from home!
- Understand that a facial is a procedure involving a variety of skin treatments. These can include exfoliation, extraction, creams, lotions, facial masks, peels, and massage.
- Learn how to apply a deep cleanse and identify the best toning products and procedures.
- Explain what a mask therapy and facial massage is and how to undergo the procedures.
- Learn about eyelash and eyebrow treatments and what works best.
- Understand how to apply make-up professionally.
- Learn how to create face and body art make-up.
- Explore the different types of nail treatments and enamelling.
- Study how to apply media make-up for people who work in theatre, fashion and photography.
Most make-up artists work freelance for different clients, making it a flexible and rewarding career. Just imagine this could be you!
The course will allow you to study when and where you want, at your own pace. All coursework can be submitted by either post or email making it easier and hassle-free.
All of the materials will be delivered to you, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors are always a click away by email, giving you advice and helping you through your course.
Add on the practical training day and gain the practical skills needed!
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 120 hours.
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Make-Up Artist Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- Facial Treatments
- Skin Structure and skin analysis
- Lip and eye make-up cleanse
- Superficial/deep cleanse
- Toning products and procedures
- Client record card and treatment plan
- Contra-indications to treatment
- Mask therapy
- Facial massage
- Eyelash and brow treatments
- Skin test or patch test
- Eyelash tinting and eyelash perming
- Eyebrow tinting and shaping
- False eyelash application and strip lashes
- Semi-permanent mascara
- Make-up consultation
- Record card and treatment plan
- Product formulations
- Labelling of ingredients
- Mineral make-up
- Product use and information
- Client preparation
- Make-up brushes and tools
- Hygienic application of make-up
- General points of good practice
- Make-up application procedure
- Bridal make-up
- Consumer legislation
- Face and body art make-up
- Make-up colours
- Artificial tanning
- Airbrushing techniques
- Nail treatments and enamelling
- Nail art
- Make-up effects and tools
- Media make-up (theatre/fashion/photographic)
- Cosmetic camouflage
- Blood and blood supply
- The lymphatic system
- The skeleton
- Muscle tissue
- The skin (dermis, epidermis)
- Hair (follicles, structure, colour)
- Nerve endings
- Functions of the skin
- Disorders of the skin
- Hygiene and sterilisation
- Salon management
- Health and safety legislation
- Equal opportunities
- Communication and greeting clients
- Appearance and attitude
- Telephone manner and complaint handling
- Treatment of minors
- Data protection
- Teamwork and time management
- Codes of conduct, ethics and practice
- Employee appraisal
- Setting up your kit
- Tools of the trade
- Basic hygiene
- Understanding skin tones
- Application of foundations, powders and concealers
- Highlighting and contouring
- Eyebrow shaping
- Natural and smoky eyeshadow application
- Basic tear proof eyeliner and mascara techniques
- Eyelash curling
This course is assessed by a series of assignments. These assignments will then be sent and marked by your tutor. There is no external examination required for this course.
Once you have passed your written assignments, you may book your practical assessment. Simply call us whenever you’re ready and we’ll provide you with the details for arranging this.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 120 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
If you add on the practical, you will need to attend a one day practical training day. You have a choice of a variety of centres to choose from throughout the UK.
The course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. You will receive your course materials through the post or online – whichever you decide! You will also receive full tutor support by email. So, help is only a click away!
At the end of this course you will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Make-Up Artist Level 3. The course has been endorsed by TQUK and is not an accredited qualification.
If you add on your practical, you will also receive a Salon Services Certificate of Achievement after the completion of your practical day.
The course itself has been designed by Open Study College to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements.This course has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
TQUK is an Awarding Organisation recognised by the qualification regulators for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The regulators are the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual) in England, the Welsh Government in Wales and the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) in Northern Ireland.
No previous knowledge is necessary for this course.
If you add on the practical with you will be required to purchase and bring with you the following for your practical day:
- Cream Foundation
- Cream to Powder Foundation
- Loose Powder
- Cotton Wool, Cotton Buds
- Non-Oily Eye Make-Up Remover
- Make-Up Wipes
A model will also be required from 1:30pm on the practical day.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV writing service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- *Comprehensive study guide
- *Open Study College pen and highlighter
- *Student study planner
- *Student notebook
- *Document wallet
- *FREE Make-Up kit including:
- *Make-up palette
- *Lip brushes
- *Mascara brushes
- *Eyeliner brushes
* Not included with the online study option
If you have added on your practical day, once you have booked the practical day, you will receive a student trade card and make-up kit which includes:
- Eye Pencil
- Lip Pencil
- Cream Eye shadow
- Lip gloss
- Lip Stick
- Nail File
- Nail Clippers
- Compact Mirror
- Pencil Sharpener
- 10 Piece Brush set
- Eyelash Curlers
- Cosmetic Sponges
No. Everything you need is included in the price!
If you have added on your practical, once you have passed your written assignments, you may book your practical assessment. Simply call us whenever you’re ready and we’ll provide you with the details for arranging this. The practical session runs on a student demand basis.
You will attend and complete your training day at your chosen centre. A model will be required from 1.30pm on the training day. The training course duration is 1 day – 10am-4pm.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.