Sale! Animal Care Level 2
From large animal welfare charities to local pet shops, the animal care sector offers a fascinating range of career opportunities.
- Understand the main needs of an animal.
- Devise suitable feeding plans.
- Learn how to set up suitable accommodation.
- Handle animals in the correct way.
- Administer basic first aid procedures.
- Identify signs of ill health.
- Recognise normal and abnormal behaviours.
- Discuss the ethical, social and legal debates regarding animals and their care.
Animal carers may inspect welfare conditions, ensure that pets are passed on or sold to loving and caring owners, or keep animals healthy and happy with their own pet walking or grooming businesses.
This course gives you a comprehensive and full understanding of animal care, covering the practical, scientific, legal and ethical aspects of caring for animals.
All course materials will be delivered to you by post or via email, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way by email.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 60 hours.
You will receive a certificate of achievement in Animal Care Level 2.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- Types of feeder
- Nutritional requirements
- Choosing and preparing food
- Quantity and timing of feeding
- Housing requirements
- Bedding materials
- Fixtures and fittings
- Cleaning and maintaining
- Waste disposal
- Disease prevention
- Common diseases of dogs, cats and rabbits
- Endoparasites and ectoparasites
- Signs of ill health
- First aid procedures and remedies
- Why do we need to handle, restrain and move animals?
- Personal protective equipment
- Handling and restraint equipment
- Reducing stress
- Normal behaviour
- Specific species
- Abnormal behaviour
- Stereotypic behaviour
- Observing behaviour
- Methods and recording
- Avoiding/reducing abnormal behaviour
- Environmental enrichment
- Welfare needs
- How can we meet these needs?
- The Animal Welfare Act 2006
- Current legislation
- Animals in production
- Intensive farming
- Free-range farming
- Organic farming
- Animals in sport
- Animals as assistance
The Animal Care course is assessed by a series of written assignments, which are submitted to and marked by your tutor. There is no external examination required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 60 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work; it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted or emailed to you online, whichever you choose. You will also receive our tutor support by email, so help is only a click away! You can start the course at any time.
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement by Training Qualifications UK (TQUK).
The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards your Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector.
The course itself has been designed by Open Study College to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements. The course has been endorsed by TQUK. This means Open Study College have undergone external quality checks to ensure that the organisation and the courses’ it offers meet a high standard. Regular reviews of our courses are carried out as part of the endorsement process.
The course depth and study has been benchmarked at Level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. This course is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College pen and highlighter
- * Student notebook
* Not included with the online study option
No. We will issue certification based on your coursework alone.
No, everything you need is included in the price!
Once we receive your work, we will mark it and return it to you. On successful completion of the course you will be awarded your Animal Care Level 2 Certificate.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.