Veterinary Support Assistant Level 3
Understand the skills needed to become a veterinary support assistant from home!
- The course will give you an understanding of the roles of the members of the veterinary team and the legal and ethical system in which they work.
- Gain an awareness of basic anatomy and physiology of the dog and cat.
- Develop a working knowledge of health and safety within a veterinary practice.
- Explore the important topic of infection control in the veterinary practice.
This Veterinary Support Assistant course has been developed for learners with an interest in veterinary nursing or becoming a veterinary nurse assistant. It will provide you with a broad knowledge base.
All course materials will be delivered to you by post or via email, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way by email.
You can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by email or via post, so handing in an assignment is simple.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 100 hours.
Certificate of achievement in Veterinary Support Assistant Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Tutor marked assignments.
- Roles and responsibilities of Veterinary Surgeons
- Roles of the Veterinary Nurse
- Roles of the Student Veterinary Nurse
- Essentials of the legal system
- Individual character and conscience
- Animal cell structure and cell function
- Basic structure and function of the nervous system
- The endocrine system
- The digestive system
- The urinary system
- The respiratory system
- The cardiovascular system
- The circulatory system
- Principles of health and safety
- Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) 2013
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) 2002
- Hazardous Waste Regulations, 2005
- Manual Handling Regulations, 1992
- The role of infection in animal and human health
- Principles of disease transmission in veterinary practice
- How to maintain a clean clinical environment
- Main groups of disinfectants
- Running a laboratory in a veterinary practice
- Emergency procedures
- General safety measures
- How to collect and prepare urine, faecal and blood samples
- How to carry out common laboratory tests
- Test results
- Principles of pharmacy stock management
- The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971
- Principles of safe dispensing
- Medication terms used in Pharmacology
- Absorption rate
- Drug formulations
The Veterinary Support Assistant course is assessed by a series of written assignments, which are submitted to and marked by your tutor. There is no external examination required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 100 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work; it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted to you or sent to you via email; whichever you choose! You will also receive our tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement by Training Qualifications UK (TQUK). The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future.
The unit summary can be used as evidence towards your Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector.
The course itself has been designed by Open Study College to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements. The course has been endorsed by TQUK. This means Open Study College have undergone external quality checks to ensure that the organisation and the courses’ it offers meet a high standard. Regular reviews of our courses are carried out as part of the endorsement process.
The course depth and study has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. This course is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College pen and highlighter
- * Student notebook
* Not included with the online study option
No. We will issue certification based on your coursework alone.
No, everything you need is included in the price!
Once we receive your work, we will mark it and return it to you. On successful completion of the course you will be awarded your Veterinary Support Assistant Level 3 certificate.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.