Forensic Science Level 3
This fascinating and wide-ranging course will introduce you to a variety of fields and topics in forensic science.
- Learn how the scientific and psychological aspects of crime work together in a forensic investigation.
- Gain a sound understanding of victimology.
- Discover how suspects are interviewed and interrogated.
- Study the treatment of psychopathic disorders in a prison environment.
Forensic scientists do not only use scientific methods and processes to assist with investigations. They must have strong understanding of criminology to help them interpret and validate scientific findings.
Covering scientific, psychological, criminological and social aspects of crime, this course equips you with a broad foundation of forensic knowledge, making an ideal first step for those considering a career in forensics.
This course will allow you to study the convenient way! You decide when and where you learn, at your own pace. Your coursework can be submitted by either post or email, making it easy and hassle-free.
All your course materials will then be delivered to you by post or email, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors are there to help you every step of the way by email, so help is only a click away!
Up to one year
Approximately 80 hours
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary
There are no specific entry requirements for this course
- Locard’s exchange principle within the context of Elizabeth’s crime scene
- Importance of protecting the crime scene
- Tracing evidence to establish cause and time of death
- Approaches that could be used in establishing time of death
- Psychological theories to gain offender characteristics from a crime scene
- Profiling approaches, including routine activity theory, statistics
- Evaluating theories
- Applying theories to cases: kidnap, murder, arson or sniper
- Defining victimology
- Victimology’s contribution to crime scene analysis from a forensic victimologist perspective
- Theories of victimology
- Victim precipitation
- Routine activity theory
- Stockholm syndrome
- Munchausen syndrome by proxy
- Creating a hypothetical profile
- Characteristics of the psychopath
- Highlighting characteristics using Hare’s PCL-R
- Gender differences in characteristics and criminal behaviour
- Difficulty in interrogating and obtaining a confession from an identified psychopath
- Outlining prisoners’ rights to mental healthcare
- Mental Health Act 1983 and the changes in 2007
- The directive from the Department of Health, 2014
- Biological treatments for prisoners diagnosed with mental health issues
- Psychological treatments for prisoners diagnosed with mental health issues
- Treating criminals with severe mental disorders effectively
- Difference between the retributional and reformative approach to punishment
- Statistical evidence
- Moral and ethical issues of bringing back capital punishment in the UK
You will be assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 80 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
The course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. Students will receive all course materials by post or online, as well as tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website.
This course has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
Dedicated personal tutor support
Dedicated student support
Assignment marking and feedback
FREE CV critique service
FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
FREE XO Student Discounts card
*Comprehensive study guide
*Open Study College pen and highlighter
*Student study planner
Not included with the online study option
No. Your certification is issued based on your tutor-marked assignments.
No. Everything you need is included in the price!
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.