Crime Scene Investigation and Forensic Science QLS Level 3
Gain a fascinating insight into crime scene investigation and forensic science in this bundle. Study the convenient way, from home!
- Understand what forensic science is
- Know how to identify a crime scene
- Explore the key areas of biological forensic evidence
- Know how to remove forensic evidence from a body
- Understand how to handle evidence
- Learn how the scientific and psychological aspects of crime pair together in a forensic investigation
- Gain a sound understanding of victimology and psychological explanations of crime
- Discover how suspects are interviewed and interrogated
- Study killing and psychopathy in the contexts of forensic investigation and wider society
All course materials will be delivered to you by post, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies, so you can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by post or via email, so handing in an assignment is simple.
Up to 2 years.
Approximately 160 hours.
Crime Scene Investigation Level 3 and Forensic Science Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Tutor Marked Assignments
- What is Forensic Science?
- Locards Principle of Exchange
- The beginnings of forensic science
- Who and what?
- Specialist forensic services
- Identifying a crime scene
- The location of the scene
- Crime scene procedures
- Key areas of biological forensic evidence
- DNA Extraction
- Blood spatter analysis
- Removing forensic evidence from a body
- Fingerprints from the deceased
- Making an impression
- Crime scene risk assessments
- Legislation affecting the recovery of forensic evidence
- Packaged for success
- Recovering the item
- Sealing and labelling evidence
- Reporting the findings
- Different forms of packaging
- Chain of Evidence
- Writing a Statement
- Advocate: assessing witness reliability
- The court system
- Locard’s exchange principle within the context of Elizabeth’s crime scene
- Importance of protecting the crime scene
- Tracing evidence to establish cause and time of death
- Approaches that could be used in establishing time of death
- Psychological theories to gain offender characteristics from a crime scene
- Profiling approaches, including routine activity theory, statistics
- Evaluating theories
- Applying theories to cases: kidnap, murder, arson or sniper
- Defining victimology
- Victimology’s contribution to crime scene analysis from a forensic victimologist perspective
- Theories of victimology
- Victim precipitation
- Routine activity theory
- Stockholm syndrome
- Munchausen syndrome by proxy
- Creating a hypothetical profile
- Characteristics of the psychopath
- Highlighting characteristics using Hare’s PCL-R
- Gender differences in characteristics and criminal behaviour
- Difficulty in interrogating and obtaining a confession from an identified psychopath
- Outlining prisoners’ rights to mental healthcare
- Mental Health Act 1983 and the changes in 2007
- The directive from the Department of Health, 2014
- Biological treatments for prisoners diagnosed with mental health issues
- Psychological treatments for prisoners diagnosed with mental health issues
- Treating criminals with severe mental disorders effectively
- Difference between the retributional and reformative approach to punishment
- Statistical evidence
- Moral and ethical issues of bringing back capital punishment in the UK
This course is assessed by a series of assignments which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
Once enrolled, you will have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course), which will allow you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines. You will also receive 12 months tutor support for each course, so you can feel confident that you’ll get the help you need. Studying around your work and family commitments has never been easier.
The course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. You will receive your course materials by post or online, plus tutor support by mail or email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive two Certificate’s of Achievement from the Quality License Scheme and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
The courses have been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality. The courses are not regulated by Ofqual and are not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality License Scheme website.
The courses have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol on to this course.
You may start at any time and have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course). This bundle is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Exclusive Open Study College Pen
- * Three colour highlighter
- * Student notebook
* Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need is included in the price!
You will send your work to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course you will be awarded your Crime Scene Investigate Level 3 and Forensic Science Level 3 Certificates.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.