Gain advanced knowledge in everything about criminology with a flexible distance learning course!
- Identify the key historical events that led to profiling becoming an integral part of crime scene analysis
- Outline how personality theories evolved regarding personality profiling
- Identify differences between organised and disorganised crime scene
- Describe the different theories of rape
- Outline risk factors associated with school shooters
- Evaluate the current causes and explanations for criminal behaviour
- Study the psychological and social theories relevant to our understanding of criminality
- Understand the role of the police
- Explore the Marxist vs Realist Views on Crime
All course materials will be delivered to you by post, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way.
You may start at any time and have 3 years to complete your studies, so you can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by post or via email, so handing in an assignment is simple.
Up to 3 years.
You will receive 3 Certificates of Achievement in:
- Criminology Level 3
- Criminal Psychology Level 3
- Psychological Profiling Level 3
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Tutor Marked Assignments.
Criminology Level 3
- The complex and diverse nature of defining crime
- How crime is measured
- Police recording of crime and the Crime Survey of England and Wales
- Key criminological theories
- Assess dominant views of crime
- Theories with statistical data
- Traditional and Neo Marxist views on crime
- Right realist views
- Fully social theory with statistical data
- What constitutes violent crime
- Different constructions of violent crime
- Key theories of violent criminality
- Critique dominant discourses
- The main functions of the police service
- How policing has changed over the last 100 years
- The role of policing
- Assess the future direction of the police service
- Different theories of punishment;
- The merits of different views on punishment;
- The dominant use of prison as a form of punishment in the UK
- Using statistical evidence that capital punishment acts as a deterrent
Criminal Psychology Level 3
- Historical explanations
- Genetic explanations
- Biochemical explanations
- Neurological explanations
- Personality theories
- Social learning theory
- Media and crime
- Psychodynamic theory
- Vulnerabilities towards crime
- Sub-cultural theories
- Strain theory
- Status Frustration
- Differential Association
- Environmental Theory
- Social Bond Theory
- Risk Factors
- Relative Deprivation
- Diagnosing abnormal behaviour
- Cognitive approaches
- Beck's Negative Triad
- Psychopathy and Antisocial Personality Disorder
- Behavioural Theory
- Cognitive Theory
- Life Events
- Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Eyewitness testimony
- Leading question
- Anxiety and weapon effect
- Cognitive interview
- Detecting deception
- Juries and sentencing
- Mary Bell
- Thompson and Venables
- Kip Kinkel
Psychological Profiling Level 3
- 3 important factors of an interview
- Cognitive interview format
- Communication styles
- Eckman’s theory
- Key historical events
- Crime scene analysis
- Victims of internet dating scams
- Myra Hindley case study
- Personality theories
- Personality tests
- Organised and disorganised crime scenes
- Investigative profiling
- Geographical approaches
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Hunting strategies
- Victim attack methods
- Different theories of rape
- Typologies and theories of rape
- Organised and disorganised points of view
- Risk factors
- Langman’s typologies
This course is assessed by a series of assignments which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
Once enrolled, you will have three years to complete this bundle, which will allow you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines. You will also receive 36 months tutor support, so you can feel confident that you’ll get the help you need. Studying around your work and family commitments has never been easier.
The course is designed for study by distance learning at home or at work. Students receive a course manual, assignments and study guide, plus tutor support by mail or email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website. This course has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
You may start at any time and have two years to complete this bundle. This bundle is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV writing service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- Comprehensive study guide
- Open Study College pen and highlighter
- Student study planner
- Student notebook
- Document wallet
No, everything you need is included in the price!
You will send your work to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course you will be awarded your certificates.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.