Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training
REPs recognised Active IQ qualification
- Become fully qualified to work in a gym, fitness centre, run your own fitness classes, or even start your own business!
- Develop the knowledge to train your own clients and give nutritional advice.
- Attend a 2-day practical assessment/exams at a gym in Birmingham.
- Gain a REPs recognised qualification
As well as providing an excellent knowledge base in personal training, this Active IQ Level 3 Diploma is ideal for students who want to progress their current career, achieve a nationally recognised REPs qualification in personal training and go onto further vocational training and placement opportunities.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 430 hours.
Students will receive the Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training. You can become a qualified personal trainer.
Must have passed a Level 2 QCF registered gym fitness instruction course and have some degree of physical fitness.
Multiple choice exam, practical and video assessments and coursework.
Qualification code: 603/0895/3
- Structure and function of the cardiovascular system in relation to health and fitness.
- Structure and function of the skeletal system structure in relation to health and fitness.
- Structure and function of the myofascial system in relation to health and fitness.
- Structure and function of the nervous system in relation to health and fitness.
- Structure and function of endocrine system in relation to health and fitness.
- The role of the energy systems in relation to physical activity, exercise, and training.
- Structure and function of the digestive system in relation to health and fitness.
- How to access credible information about nutrition for health and exercise.
- Common nutritional terms related to health and exercise.
- The nutrients needed to maintain health.
- How nutrients from food are used to fuel and recover from physical activity.
- How to estimate daily energy and nutrient requirements for clients with different goals.
- The risks of poor nutritional and lifestyle practices.
- Nutritional considerations for specific client groups.
- Analysing client’s dietary habits and identify areas for improvement.
- Lifestyle factors that affect a client’s health and wellbeing.
- Commonly medical conditions and how they may impact a client’s lifestyle. Inc Hypertension, Obesity, Cardiorespiratory disease, Diabetes and Stress.
- How to risk-stratify and when to refer clients with common medical conditions.
- The importance of communication skills to effectively communicate and engage with clients.
- Techniques used to effectively communicate and engage with clients.
- Techniques used to support clients making lifestyle behaviour changes.
- Communication style
- How to create a positive environment that motivates and empowers clients, to meet their desired goals.
- How to collect and interpret health screening and fitness assessment data.
- Technological advancements that can help clients increase their activity levels and stay motivated and focused.
- How to monitor and interpret client data from a range of current information technology (IT) applications.
- Facilitating goal setting and action planning.
- Principles of safe and effective personal training programme design.
- Principles of periodisation and how they can be used effectively to meet client’s goal and needs.
- Integrating the use of alternative environments safely and effectively into personal training sessions.
- Considerations for planning and delivering group personal training sessions.
- The scope and professional boundaries of personal training pre- and post-natal women.
- The scope and professional boundaries of personal training older adults.
- Designing safe and effective personal training programmes and session plans.
- Instructing safe and effective exercise technique.
- Monitoring and motivating clients during exercise sessions.
- Reviewing a client’s progress and satisfaction
- The legal and professional requirements for personal training.
- Health and safety in the workplace.
- The requirements of a self-employed individual.
- The legal and professional requirements for the management of personal information and records.
- Marketing techniques and tactics.
- How to close a sale.
- How to set budgets and manage finances in a personal training business.
- How to monitor and interpret business data from a range of current information technology (IT) applications.
- How information technology (IT) applications are used to support effective business planning and delivery.
- The professional and personal importance of continuing professional development (CPD).
- Strategies to develop a successful personal training business.
This course involves approximately 430 hours of study time and you will have up to 1 year to complete your course. You can complete it in as little time as you need.
The only time limit would be your assessment day, as you will have needed to complete your theory before you are able to book on to this.
This course is assessed by a variety of methods, including a multiple-choice examination, practical assessments, video assessment and coursework.
Practical assessments will take place across two assessment days. During these assessment days, you will be required to complete two multiple choice exams and will be assessed on session delivery and training techniques.
Once you have passed all of your e-learning units and assessments, they will be able to book on for their practical days. The exam and practical sessions are run depending on student demand and will take place at a venue in Birmingham.
You will study this course online, which will enable you to learn when and where you want, as long as you have access to an internet connection you are able to study.
You will receive access to an online learning platform including a variety of visual, audio and text-based presentations. You will also have a personal tutor to support you through your course, so help is only a click away!
Once you have passed your theory and practical elements to your course, you will receive your Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training qualification. This is fully recognised by REPs.
This qualification enables you to become a fully qualified Personal Trainer.
Active IQ are one of the UK’s leading awarding organisations for the active leisure, learning and wellbeing sector and are recognised and regulated by Ofqual, Qualifications Wales and CCEA. They design qualifications that support clearly defined career pathways for the active leisure sector.
Your qualification is accredited by Active IQ, one of the UK’s leading Ofqual approved awarding bodies in the health, fitness and active leisure sector. This qualification will provide level 3 entry onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs). REPs is an independent public register which provides regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet National Occupational Standards agreed by the health and fitness industry. This will enable you to obtain public liability insurance to practise as a Personal Trainer.
Membership with REPs is valued and respected, enhancing employability, and is recognised in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
Open Study College is endorsed by PD: Approval and our qualifications are recognised by REPs.
To enrol on this Level 3 qualification, you must have passed a Level 2 QCF registered gym fitness instruction course.
Students must be 16 or over to enrol on this course and a degree of physical fitness is necessary to complete the practical assessments. It is also recommended that you have some experience of gym-based exercise, including free weights, and basic level communication skills. We have one available here.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. It is truly flexible and is designed to be adaptable around your lifestyle and other commitments.
Once you have passed your theory, you may book to confirm your attendance. Simply email your tutor who will advise you on assessment dates.
Alternatively, call us whenever you’re ready and we’ll provide you with the details for arranging this. The practical sessions are run on a student demand basis, with 8 students taking the practical sessions at a time.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.