Nutrition Consultant Level 3 and Weight Management Level 4
Learn everything you need to know about nutrition and weight management, from home!
- Recognise what a balanced diet is.
- Understand the dietary needs for different people.
- Promote healthier eating and explore fad diets.
- Understand the obesity epidemic, as well as the causes and consequences.
- Recognise the principles of effective weight management and the role of psychology in weight loss.
All course materials will be delivered to you by post or via email, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way by email.
You can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by post or via email, so handing in an assignment is simple.
Up to 2 years.
You will receive two Certificates of Achievement in Nutrition Consultant Level 3 and Weight Management ConsultantLevel 4.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Nutrition Consultant Level 3
- Nutrition: what is it?
- Macronutrients: carbohydrates, proteins and fats
- Micronutrients: vitamins and minerals
- How much do we need of each nutrient?
- The concept of energy balance
- A 'healthy' diet and government guidelines
- The eatwell plate
- Babies and toddlers
- School children (ages 4-10)
- Adolescents (ages 11-18)
- Older adults
- The national diet and nutrition survey
- Types of food intolerance
- Types of food allergy
- Low income and dietary adequacy
- Dietary differences in a multicultural society
- Deficiencies and dietary conditions
- Vegetarian and vegan diets
- What is a food additive?
- UK regulation of additives and E-numbers
- Food colourings
- Flavour enhancers
- Emulsifiers and stabilisers
- Convenience and fast food
- The place of fast food in a balanced diet
- Safe food storage
- Hygienic preparation
- Safe cooking methods
- General hygiene
- Food safety for vulnerable groups
- Protection against listeria, salmonella and toxoplasmosis
- Understanding and interpreting food labelling
- Influences on eating: social, economic and psychological
- Food habits, attitudes and behaviours
- Supporting specific dietary goals
- Improving the overall balance of a meal
Weight Management Consultant Level 4
- Describe characteristics and functions of macronutrients and micronutrients
- Explain the importance of vitamins and minerals for the body
- Explain the importance of water in the diet
- List ways in which they can stay informed of the latest developments in the field
- Describe energy balance
- Explain how modern diet and working practices predispose individuals to weight gain
- Analyse the role which fast food, ready meals and convenience food play in obesity
- Evaluate the extent to which food consumption is linked to our social and cultural heritage
- Explain the relationship between economic status and obesity
- Describe the effects of the obesity epidemic on an individual and national level
- Describe the risks associated with being overweight
- Perform an assessment to determine if a person is overweight, and know the different classes of obesity (obese, severely obese, morbidly obese, super obese)
- Analyse the benefits and drawbacks of different methods for determining whether someone is overweight
- Explain energy balance, and the fundamental mechanics of fat loss, calorie counting, portion sizes and the food pyramid
- Construct a simple weight loss plan
- Give examples of conditions which predispose individuals to obesity, or make it far more difficult for them to maintain a healthy weight
- Assess the impact of the two diabetes as they apply to weight loss
- Describe the considerations for working with individuals with type one diabetes
- Explain the effect of metabolic diseases on a person’s weight
- Make a balanced judgement as to when an individual is suitable for assistance from a weight loss consultant, and when they need to be treated by a medical professional
- Outline the characteristics and drawbacks of the most popular “fad diets”
- Explain why “diets” not work for sustained weight loss and management
- Define the “yo-yo” dieting effect
- Outline approaches to weight management which do work, and are sustainable in the long term
- Describe the relationship between emotion and food
- Give examples of situations where emotions or psychological considerations may lie at the heart of a weight issue
- Illustrate with examples the psychological effect which obesity can have on individuals
- Justify the consideration of psychological factors when dealing with weight loss
- List and describe different psychological approaches are effective in supporting weight loss and know how to help clients find help.
- Explain how exercise can contribute to initial weight loss, as well as maintenance of a healthy weight
- Differentiate between types of exercise which are suitable and unsuitable for obese individuals
- Outline the types of professionals who can provide tailored exercise plans for obese individuals
- Clarify instances when it is appropriate to recommend exercise to a client, and when to refer them to a medical professional
- Describe different ways in which clients can incorporate more exercise into their daily routines
This course is assessed by a series of assignments which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
Once enrolled, you will have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course), which will allow you to work at your own pace without the pressure of tight deadlines. You will also receive 12 months tutor support for each course, so you can feel confident that you’ll get the help you need. Studying around your work and family commitments has never been easier.
This course is designed for distance learning at home or at work. Students will receive a course pack containing all study materials or online materials, as well as full tutor support by email. So help is only a click away!
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive two Certificates of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example, progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website. These courses has been benchmarked at Level 3 and Level 4 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol on to this course.
You may start at any time and have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course). This bundle is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Exclusive Open Study College pen and highlighter
- * Student study planner
- * Student notebook
- * Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need is included in the price!
You will send your work to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course, you will achieve two Certificates of Achievement in Nutrition Consultant Level 3 a Weight Management Consultant Level 4.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.
You may also like
£489.00 – £529.00
or £or £18.18 per month
Package course (best value)Package
£649.00 – £689.00
or £or £23.68 per month
Package course (best value)Package
£649.00 – £689.00
or £or £23.68 per month