Genealogy QLS Level 2
Learn how to research your family history, from home!
- Genealogy is said to be one of the fastest-growing hobbies in the UK
- This course will help you develop valuable research skills to trace your own ancestors, origins and family history
- Unlike other subjects, genealogy is always personalised to your own ancestry, so there's always something unique for you to discover!
All course materials will be delivered to you by post, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way by email.
You can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by post or via email, so handing in an assignment is simple.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 80 hours.
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Genealogy Level 2.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Tutor Marked Assignments.
- What does genealogy mean?
- Why research a family tree?
- Genealogy - hobby or profession?
- What is an ancestor?
- DNA tracing
- Different types of family tree
- Figuring out relationships
- Knowing your family relationships
- The history of surnames
- Why research a surname?
- The history of birth, marriage and death records
- Looking at different records
- Other useful certificates
- Using certificates effectively
- Introduction to the Census
- The genealogist and Census research
- Using war records
- The Royal Navy and Marines
- The British Army
- The Royal Air Force
- The war dead
- Foreign forces
- Searching prison records
- Researching police records
- Using immigration records
- The history of workhouses in Britain
- How to use workhouse records for a genealogy search
- Tracing noble ancestry in your family tree
- How to search your own family’s heraldry trail
- Tracing your royal connections
- Using wills and administration
- What if my ancestor did not make a will?
- Using newspapers to research your family tree
- Using research centres
- Global searching for family records
- Organising your family tree
- Templates for compiling your family tree
- Genealogy computer programmes
- Recording your own family in film or audio clips
- The importance of your family tree and genealogy research
- Reflecting on your genealogy work
- Course conclusion
This course is assessed by a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your personal tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 80 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
This course is designed for distance learning at home or at work. Students will receive a course pack containing all study materials, as well as full tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from the Quality License Scheme and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality License Scheme website. This course has been benchmarked at Level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. It is truly flexible and is designed to be adaptable around your lifestyle and other commitments.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College pen and highlighter
- * Student notebook
* Not included with the online study option
You will send your work to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course you will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Genealogy Level 2.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.