RHS Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Garden Planning Establishment and Maintenance
Recognised by the Chartered Institute of Horticulture
Understand the principles of garden planning establishment and maintenance from home!
- Understand the principles of selecting plans, garden features and planning.
- Learn more about choosing, establishing and maintaining plants and lawns.
- Study protected environments and structures.
- Develop your knowledge how to select a suitable site and grow vegetables and fruit outdoors.
Whether you’re a keen amateur gardener, thinking of a career change, or want to go further with your gardening business, you can now gain the knowledge of gardening and horticulture you need for success.
All of the materials will be delivered to you by post or online, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors are always a click away by email, giving you advice and helping you through your course.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 156 hours.
You will receive an RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- Recording and carrying out garden surveys
- Carrying out site appraisals and recording data
- Principles of garden planning and what contributes to a good design
- Characteristics of garden design styles
- Hard landscaping materials and their effective uses
- Soft landscaping materials and their effective uses
- Key elements and incorporating them into a design
- Safe and environmentally sensitive/sustainable development of garden sites and its importance
- Choosing, establishing and maintenance of plants for seasonal display
- Choosing and growing herbaceous perennial plants and bulbs for display
- Choosing, establishing and maintaining woody plants for display
- Choosing and growing alpine and rock garden plants
- Planting and maintenance of a garden pool
- The establishment and maintenance of lawns
- Selecting sites for outdoor food production in a garden or allotment
- Cultural operations used in producing outdoor food crops
- Vegetable crop production and its principles
- Top and soft fruit production in a garden or allotment
- Protected structure in growing plants and their uses
- Environments provided by protected structures
- Structural and cladding materials used for protected structures
- Environmental control in protected structures
- Container and growing media types uses for production and display in protected environments
- The protected environment and its horticultural uses
- Care of plants in interior situations
This course is assessed through a series of examinations. In order to achieve the RHS Certification, you will need to sit an examination for each module within the course. These exams will need to be sat at an alternative RHS Examination centre.
Examinations are offered twice a year and take place in February and June. For this course, you will need to sit four exams. There is a fee for each exam, which you will need to pay separately.
The total guided learning hours for this qualification is 97, and the total qualification time is 156.
You will have one year to complete this course. This is more than enough time to complete your studies, so you will be able to study in your own time and at your own pace.
This course is designed for distance learning at home or at work. Students will receive a course pack containing all study materials, as well as full tutor support by email.
On successful completion of this course and exams, you will receive an RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance. The qualification is recognised by the Chartered Institute of Horticulture.
RHS stands for the Royal Horticultural Society and is the UK’s leading gardening charity.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
- Comprehensive study notes
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- Pen and highlighter*
- Student study planner*
- Student notebook*
- Document wallet*
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- FREE CV critique service upon successful completion of the course
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
* Only available with the study pack option
Examinations are offered twice a year and take place in February and June.
For this course, you will need to sit four exams. There is a fee for each exam, which you will be responsible for paying. View a list of exam centres here.
Everything you need to study will be provided, however you will need to pay additional fees to sit your necessary examinations.
Once we receive your work, we will mark it and return it to you. On successful completion of the course and exams you will be awarded your RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.