Chess QLS Level 2
Take on a new challenge within the exciting world of chess!
- Understand how to read and appreciate the huge literature of chess
- Learn the rules and how the pieces move
- Know how to start a game with a good opening
- Describe the principles and fundamentals of chess
- Recognise what is meant by checkmate and stalemate
- Explain stalemate and other drawn positions
- Understand the basic middlegame strategy
- Learn how to play simple endgames
This course will allow you to study when and where you want, at your own pace. All coursework can be submitted by post or email making it simple and hassle-free.
All of the materials will be delivered to you, so it couldn’t be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors are always a click away by email, giving you a full years worth of support and advice to help get you through your course!
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 60 hours.
Chess Level 2.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Tutor marked assignments.
- History and literature of chess
- Recording the game for improvement
- Chess diagrams and figurine
- Read and write algebraic notation
- The King and Queen pieces
- The Minor Pieces – Knights and Bishops pieces
- The Rooks
- The Pawns
- Develop your pieces to safe squares
- Importance of time in chess
- Winning and losing in the opening
- Prepare for the middlegame by choosing a logical plan
- Plan based on sound principles
- Explain waiting moves and why Pawns can’t move backwards
- Tactics and combinations there are
- Preparing for the endgame by choosing a logical plan
- Checkmate with a King and Queen vs a King
- Checkmate with a King and Rook vs a King
- Checkmate with a King and two Rooks vs a King
- Checkmate with a Bishop and Knight vs a King
- Importance of local clubs and how to find a local chess club
- Role of the National organising bodies by explaining their importance to the chess community
- Chess tournaments and how to compete in them
- Compare online resources
- Advantages and disadvantages of playing online
This course is assessed by a series of assignments, which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 60 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work; it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted to you, it’s that easy. You will also receive tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from the Quality License Scheme and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality License Scheme website.
This course has been benchmarked at Level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any skills or previous qualifications to enrol onto this course.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. It is truly flexible and is designed to be adaptable around your lifestyle and other commitments.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership
- Comprehensive study guide
- Exclusive Open Study College Pen
- Three colour highlighter
- Student notebook
You will send your assignments to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course you be awarded your Chess Level 2 Certificate.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.