Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing
REPs recognised Active IQ qualification
Become a gym instructor from home!
- Become a REPs recognised gym instructor on completion
- Understand all you need to know to become a qualified Gym Instructor
- Attend a practical assessment day at a gym in Birmingham
- Study your theory knowledge at home, at your own pace
This Active IQ Level 2 Certificate provides an excellent knowledge base for gym instruction and students will achieve a nationally recognised qualification in gym instruction. This course is suitable for beginners and have no prior qualifications in fitness training.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 230 hours.
You receive the Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing qualification. Enables you to become qualified gym instructor.
Recommended that students have experience of gym based exercises.
Exam, practical and video assessment. Coursework.
Qualification code 603/2692/X.
- The skeletal system and the effects of exercise.
- The neuromuscular system and the effects of exercise.
- Cardiovascular and respiratory systems and the effects of exercise.
- How energy is produced in the body and the effects of exercise on energy production.
- The structure and function of the digestive system.
- Health and wellbeing.
- The components of fitness and the effects of exercise.
- The legal and professional requirements for fitness instructing.
- How an instructor can help all types of customer to have a positive exercise experience.
- Products and services offered by fitness instructors and facilities.
- Skills and behaviours needed to deliver effective customer care.
- The value of first impressions.
- How to communicate clearly and effectively with customers.
- Personal and professional development.
- Health and safety in the workplace.
- Hazards and risks in a fitness environment.
- Normal and emergency operating procedures in the workplace.
- Maintaining a safe and effective fitness environment.
- The cleaning requirements in fitness environments.
- Safe working practices relating to the control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH) Regulations.
- How to consult and support clients to change behaviours.
- The importance of a healthy lifestyle and healthy eating.
- How technology can be used to support exercise adherence.
- Established protocols for health screening and fitness assessment of gym-based clients.
- Consult/interview and support clients to change their exercise behaviour.
- Planning a safe and effective gym-based exercise session.
- Planning a safe and effective gym-based session.
- Delivering a safe and effective gym-based session.
- Encouraging clients to increase physical activity and exercise adherence.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course but it is highly recommended that students have experience of gym based exercises including free weights. It is also important to have a degree of physical fitness.
This course is assessed by a variety of methods, including a multiple-choice examination, practical assessment, video assessment and coursework.
Once you have passed all theory units and assessments, you will be able to book on for your practical assessment. The practical sessions are run throughout the year and will take place at a venue in Birmingham. You must make sure you are able to travel to Birmingham in order to attend your practical assessment.
On your assessment day, you will be assessed on:
- Programme delivery
- Group induction
Your multiple choice exam will be completed online at home the day before you attend your practical assessment, therefore access to a PC will be required.
Principles of anatomy, physiology and fitness Level 2 A/616/7499
There are 50 questions within this paper. To achieve a Pass you will need to score 35 out of 50 marks.
You will have up to one year to complete your course, but you can study in as much or as little time as you like. The only time limit will be the practical assessment day as you will need to ensure all your theory work is complete before you book on to this.
The theory side of the course requires around 230 hours of study time.
You will study this course online, which will enable you to learn when and where you want, as long as you have access to an internet connection you are able to study.
You will receive access to an online learning platform including a variety of visual, audio and text-based presentations. You will also have a personal tutor to support you through your course, so help is only a click away!
Once you have passed your theory and practical elements to your course, you will receive your Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing qualification. This is fully recognised by REPs.
This qualification enables you to become a fully qualified Gym instructor.
Active IQ are one of the UK’s leading awarding organisations for the active leisure, learning and wellbeing sector and are recognised and regulated by Ofqual, Qualifications Wales and CCEA. They design qualifications that support clearly defined career pathways for the active leisure sector.
Your qualification is accredited by Active IQ, one of the UK’s leading Ofqual approved awarding bodies in the health, fitness and active leisure sector. This qualification will provide level 2 entry onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs). REPs is an independent public register which provides regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet National Occupational Standards agreed by the health and fitness industry. This will enable you to obtain public liability insurance to practise as a Gym Instructor.
Membership with REPs is valued and respected, enhancing employability, and is recognised in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
Open Study College is endorsed by PD: Approval and our qualifications are recognised by REPs.
Students must be 16 or over to enrol on this course and a degree of physical fitness is necessary to complete the practical assessments. It is also recommended that you have some experience of gym-based exercise, including free weights, and basic level communication skills.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. It is truly flexible and is designed to be adaptable around your lifestyle and other commitments.
Once you have passed your theory, you may book to confirm your attendance. Simply email your tutor who will advise you on assessment dates. Alternatively, call us whenever you’re ready and we’ll provide you with the details for arranging this. The practical sessions are run on a student demand basis and they are based in Birmingham. You need to ensure you are able to travel to your practical day.
- Practical assessment and examination based in a fitness centre in Birmingham
- Online learning platform
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.