AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting
AAT048 / AAT049
Develop your accounting career with this AAT Accounting Level 3 course and help your CV stand out from the crowd.
- Achieve this AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting qualification from one of the most respected and widely known awarding bodies worldwide.
- Gain up to 56 UCAS points to help you secure a place at university.
- AAT qualifications are recognised both internationally and by all UK chartered and certified accounting bodies.
- Accountants with an AAT qualification are highly sought after by companies of all sizes.
- Ideal for anyone looking to progress their career in accounting and finance.
- Achieve this qualification from the comfort your own home, at your own pace.
- If you add your exams to your enrolment, we will book and pay for them for you!
This AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting course has been designed for those with a basic level of experience or knowledge of accounting who wish to develop their accounting career and progress!
During this course, you’ll learn more about preparing final accounts, advanced bookkeeping tasks such as preparing and extending the trial balance, and how to accurately complete VAT tax returns.
AAT is the world’s leading professional membership body for accounting technicians, working with members around the world. Their accounting courses are highly sought-after and as an AAT qualification, this accredited accounting qualification will help you to progress in your career.
You will need to complete your AAT exams to complete and achieve your qualification. You can choose to add your AAT exams to your enrolment. If you do not add your exams to your enrolment, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams.
And if you’re thinking of going to university, you’ll also be able to gain up to 56 UCAS points to help you secure a place!
Up to one year.
On successful completion of this course, you will receive your AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting.
You must be aged 16 or over to enrol on this course.
Eight tutor-marked assessments and four exams.
- Business types, structure, governance, and the legal framework in which they operate.
- Impact of the external and internal environments on business, their performance, and decisions.
- Understand how businesses and accounts comply with principles and professional ethics.
- The impact of new technologies in accounting and the risks associated with data security.
- Communicating information to stakeholders.
- Accounting principles underlaying financial accounts preparation.
- Principles of advanced double-entry bookkeeping.
- Implementing procedures for the acquisition and disposal of non-current assets.
- Prepare and record depreciation calculations.
- Record period end adjustments.
- Produce and extend a trial balance.
- Produce financial statements for sole traders and partnerships.
- Interpret financial statements using profitability ratios.
- Prepare accounting records from incomplete information.
- Purpose and use of management accounting within organisations.
- Use techniques required for dealing with costs.
- Attribute costs according to organisational requirements.
- Investigate deviations from budgets.
- Use spreadsheet techniques to provide management accounting information.
- Use management accounting techniques to support short-term decision-making.
- Principles of cash management.
- Legislation requirements relating to VAT.
- Calculate VAT.
- Review and verify VAT returns.
- Understand the principles of payroll.
- Report information within the organisation.
Once enrolled, you have up to one year to complete your studies. The course will take approximately 620 hours to complete in total, of which 400 hours are proposed guided learning hours.
This course will be studied entirely via distance learning, meaning you will complete your learning either from home or a place that suits you. Full tutor support will be available via email, so if you have any questions or need some guidance, your tutor will be here to help. Your course materials will include a series of self-assessment exercises and tutor-marked questions to allow both yourself and your tutor to monitor your progress.
You will pay a one-off registration fee which will give you access to the qualification for its lifetime, which is typically four to five years. Once you have registered with AAT for your student membership, you will have access to their library of online resources and additional support materials, including sample assessments to help you prepare for your exams.
We will send an email with a link to download the free Sage software.
The qualification is assessed through eight tutor-marked assessments and four external exams, which you will complete at the end of your course. This computer-based exam must be sat under controlled conditions at an external examination centre. Your tutor will be able to help you decide when you are ready to take the assessments.
Booking your assessments
You can choose to add your exams to your enrolment. If you choose this option, we will book and pay for your exams for you. Our partner exam centres for students choosing to book their exams through us are based in Birmingham or Irthlingborough near Northampton. When choosing to add your exams to your enrolment, it is important to note that we are only able to book your exams at the specified centres in either Birmingham or Irthlingborough, and therefore, you must be prepared to travel to one of those centres to complete your exam.
Alternatively, if you choose not to add your assessments to your enrolment, you will need to book and pay for these separately.
Once you have successfully completed your tutor-marked assignments and exams, you will receive your AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting from The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT).
The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) has been established for over 30 years and is the world’s leading professional membership body for over 130,000 accounting professionals. AAT’s vocational qualifications are recognised internationally and by all chartered and certified accountancy bodies in the UK.
The skills developed during this course will enable you to apply for the following roles:
- Assistant accountant
- Senior bookkeeper
- Accounts assistant
- Audit trainee
- Credit controller
- Finance assistant
- Finance officer
- Payroll supervisor
- Tax assistant
Alternatively, you could progress to the next level of study by enrolling on the AAT Level 4 Diploma in Professional Accounting or progress to higher education.
Take a read of our ‘How to Become an Accountant‘ career guide.
You must be 16 years old to enrol on this course, as well as have basic maths and IT skills. You will also need an internet connection to allow you to download the free software. You are also required to have a thorough understanding of double-entry bookkeeping, the ledger, VAT, and associated terminology.
- FREE Sage Accounts software (downloadable via a link we’ll send by email).
- Comprehensive study guide.
- Dedicated personal tutor support by email.
- Dedicated learner services.
- Assignment marking and feedback.
- FREE CV critique service.
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers.
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership.
- Exclusive Open Study College study pack including pen, highlighter, and notebook.
The Sage software will only work on computers which runs Windows 7 or higher, therefore Sage will not run on Windows XP. Sage software will not run on any Apple Macintosh computer. Please email us for full specification and compatibility details. The free software is provided as a download so you will need to ensure that you have an internet connection.
To sit your exams, you must join AAT as a student member, which will then give you access to their resources. If you add your exams to your enrolment, these are included within the cost. However, if you choose to book your exams separately, you must book and pay for these yourself.
More information on fees can be found on the AAT website.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.