AAT Level 2 Certificate in Accounting
AAT046 / AAT047
Kickstart your accounting career by studying this accredited, industry recognised AAT Accounting Level 2 course.
- Achieve this AAT Level 2 Certificate in Accounting qualification from one of the most respected and widely known awarding bodies worldwide.
- AAT qualifications are recognised both internationally and by all UK chartered and certified accounting bodies.
- AAT-qualified accountants are widely sought-after by employers.
- Ideal for those hoping to start their career in accounting.
- Achieve this qualification from the comfort your own home, at your own pace.
- If you add your exams to your enrolment, we will book and pay for them for you!
This AAT Level 2 Certificate in Accounting has been designed for those with little to no experience or knowledge of accounting, who wish to achieve a career in the field.
The course will help you get to grips with bookkeeping basics such as transactions and controls, as well as how organisations record costs and how to use accounts software that will record and process transactions.
AAT is the world’s leading professional membership body for accounting technicians, working with members around the world. Their accounting courses are highly sought-after and as an AAT qualification, this accredited accounting qualification will help you to progress in your career.
You will need to complete your AAT exams to complete and achieve your qualification. You can choose to add your AAT exams to your enrolment. If you do not add your exams to your enrolment, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams.
Up to one year.
On successful completion of this course, you will receive your AAT Level 2 Certificate in Accounting.
You must be aged 16 or over to enrol on this course.
Eight tutor-marked assessments, three exams, and one synoptic assessment.
- How to set up bookkeeping systems.
- Customer transactions.
- Supplier transactions.
- Processing of receipts and payments.
- Processing transactions into ledger accounts.
- Use control accounts.
- Reconcile bank statements with the cash book.
- Use the journal.
- Produce trial balances.
- The cost recording system within an organisation.
- Use cost recording techniques.
- Provide information on actual and budgeted costs and income.
- Use tools and techniques to support cost calculations.
- Principles of contract law.
- External business environment.
- Principles of corporate social responsibility (CSR), ethics, and sustainability.
- Impact of selling up different types of business entity.
- Finance functions within an organisation.
- Work in appropriate formats and communicate effectively.
- Importance of information to business operations.
Once enrolled, you have up to one year to complete your studies. The course will take approximately 340 hours to complete in total, of which 255 hours are proposed guided learning hours.
This course will be studied entirely via distance learning, meaning you will complete your learning either from home or a place that suits you. Full tutor support will be available via email, so if you have any questions or need some guidance, your tutor will be here to help. Your course materials will include a series of self-assessment exercises and tutor-marked questions to allow both yourself and your tutor to monitor your progress.
You will pay a one-off registration fee which will give you access to the qualification for its lifetime, which is typically four to five years. Once you have registered with AAT for your student membership, you will have access to their library of online resources and additional support materials, including sample assessments to help you prepare for your exams.
We will send an email with a link to download the free Sage software.
The qualification is assessed through eight tutor-marked assessments, three external exams, and one synoptic assessment, which you will complete at the end of your course. This computer-based exam must be sat under controlled conditions at an external examination centre. The three exams will be available on-demand throughout the year, while the synoptic assessments are available on set dates throughout the year. Your tutor will be able to help you decide when you are ready to take the assessments.
Booking your assessments
You can choose to add your exams to your enrolment. If you choose this option, we will book and pay for your exams for you. Our partner exam centres for students choosing to book their exams through us are based in Birmingham or Irthlingborough near Northampton. When choosing to add your exams to your enrolment, it is important to note that we are only able to book your exams at the specified centres in either Birmingham or Irthlingborough, and therefore, you must be prepared to travel to one of those centres to complete your exam.
Alternatively, if you choose not to add your assessments to your enrolment, you will need to book and pay for these separately.
Once you have successfully completed your tutor-marked assignments and exams, you will receive your AAT Level 2 Certificate in Accounting from The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT).
The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) has been established for over 30 years and is the world’s leading professional membership body for over 130,000 accounting professionals. AAT’s vocational qualifications are recognised internationally and by all chartered and certified accountancy bodies in the UK.
The skills developed during this course will enable you to apply for the following roles:
- Accounts administrator
- Accounts assistant
- Accounts payable clerk
- Purchase/sales ledger clerk
- Trainee accounting technician
- Trainee finance assistant
Alternatively, you could progress to the next level of study by enrolling on the AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting or the AAT Level 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping.
Take a read of our ‘How to Become an Accountant’ career guide here.
You must be 16 years old to enrol on this course, as well as have basic maths and IT skills. You will also need an internet connection to allow you to download the free software.
- FREE Sage Accounts software (downloadable via a link we’ll send by email).
- Comprehensive study guide.
- Dedicated personal tutor support by email.
- Dedicated learner services.
- Assignment marking and feedback.
- FREE CV critique service.
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers.
- FREE XO Student Discounts membership.
- Exclusive Open Study College study pack including pen, highlighter, and notebook.
The Sage software will only work on computers which runs Windows 7 or higher, therefore Sage will not run on Windows XP. Sage software will not run on any Apple Macintosh computer. Please email us for full specification and compatibility details. The free software is provided as a download so you will need to ensure that you have an internet connection.
To sit your exams, you must join AAT as a student member, which will then give you access to their resources. If you add your exams to your enrolment, these are included within the cost. However, if you choose to book your exams separately, you must book and pay for them yourself.
More information on fees can be found on the AAT website.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.