Introduction to Freelance Photo Journalism QLS Level 2
Boost your skills in photojournalism, from home!
- Improve your knowledge of both photojournalism and freelance journalism.
- Understand how to obtain and record cutline information.
- Learn how to combine photography and writing to produce news articles for publication.
- Understand how to write a photographic cutline.
As well as providing an introduction to freelance photojournalism, this course is ideal for those who want to progress in their current career. Kick-start your career as a freelance photojournalist or want to go onto further qualifications and training.
Up to one year
Approximately 90 hours
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement from the Quality License Scheme and a Learner Unit Summary
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- What is news?
- The elements of news
- News in the community
- Community newspapers
- What makes a good Freelance Journalist?
- The function of a Freelance Journalist
- The beat system
- Sources and tools
- Preparing mechanically for interviews
- Developing note-taking skills
- Picking the interview location
- Conduct pre-interview research
- Conduct the interview
- Conduct the post-interview
- Taking photographs for publication
- Two visual considerations
- Depth of field
- Isolating a subject
- Lenses and perspectives
- The principles of composition
- Action in still photographs
- Stopping action
- Who gathers cutline information?
- How to record the information
- What to record
- Match up the information with the photograph
- When to record the information
- Sports photography hints
- Filing cutline information
- The four-part cutline
- Equipment available
This course is assessed by a series of written assignments. These assignments will then be sent and marked by your tutor. There is no external examination required for this course.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. This course should take you approximately 90 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work; it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted to you, so receiving your course is hassle-free. You will also receive our tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from the Quality License Scheme and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by the Quality License Scheme for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality License Scheme website.
This course has been benchmarked at level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
There are no requirements for this course, therefore you can start at any time!
No. We will issue certification based on your coursework alone.
No. Everything you need is included in the price!
You will send your work to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.