Fiction Writing and Self-Publishing
Develop your fiction writing skills and learn how to publish your own stories, from home!
- Think about all the elements that make a successful work of a fiction writer.
- Learn how to use these ideas to provide structure to your creativity and put them into a larger fictional project.
- Explore how to create characters, develop setting, create authentic speech (dialogue and monologue) and devise exciting, page-turning plotlines.
- Understand the production and distribution process, as well as how to market and sell your book.
This course will allow you to study at a time and place which suits you with no strict deadlines or timetabling to contend with. This means you can fit studying around your other commitments!
You will receive your course by post or email, so getting your materials is easy and hassle-free. Your personal tutor is there to support you every step of the way by email, so help is only a click away!
Up to two years.
You will receive two Certificates of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Fiction Writing Level 3
- Compose a short piece of autobiographical writing
- Explain why, where and how you like to write, and describe your writing voice
- Develop a character using some of your own characteristics
- Develop a piece of fiction using your character
- Create a character sketch
- Create a description of setting from memory demonstrating use of the five senses
- Demonstrate original fiction writing that presents character and setting
- Produce a 200 word plan of a larger piece of work developing your character and/or setting
- Critically evaluate the techniques used in monologue and dialogue through analysis of examples
- Produce a critical evaluation of a monologue
- Demonstrate the use of dialogue
- Demonstrate the use of monologue form
- Recognise and demonstrate the use of figurative language
- Demonstrate skills of ‘showing not telling’ in writing
- Demonstrate an ability to show character emotion
- Produce an original example of fiction demonstrating the use of ‘showing not telling’ skills, character emotion and figurative language
- Identify your favourite genre and outline the features present
- Make a plan that incorporates the development of a plot
- Produce an original piece of writing in a chosen genre
- Produce a commentary on the genre specific feature of your writing
- Produce an extended piece of original fiction
- Write a synopsis of your idea and how the work will develop
- Write a review of your own writing
- Produce a development plan detailing the next steps in your writing
Self-Publishing – Short Course
- Why self-publish?
- Getting your book ready
- Marketing and sales
This course is assessed by a series of written assignments which are marked by your tutor. No external examination is required.
Once enrolled, you will have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course), which will allow you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines. You will also receive 12 months tutor support for each course, so you can feel confident that you’ll get the help you need. Studying around your work and family commitments has never been easier.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work, it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted or emailed to you, so it is easy and hassle-free. You will also receive our award-winning tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Fiction Writing Level 3 and Self-Publishing Short Course Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example, progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website.
This course has been benchmarked at level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any previous knowledge or skills to enrol onto this course. You may need to conduct your own further reading.
You may start at any time and have two years to complete this bundle (one year per course). This bundle is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- FREE CV writing service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- *Comprehensive study guide
- *Open Study College pen and highlighter
- *Student study planner
- *Student notebook
- *Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
No. We will issue certification based on your coursework alone.
No, everything you need is included in the price!
Once we receive your work, we will mark it and return it to you.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.