Edexcel Functional Skills English and ICT Level 2
OSC1413 / OSC1420
Boost your IT and English skills from home with this accredited Functional Skills English and ICT Level 2 qualification.
- This Functional Skills English and ICT Level 2 course is equivalent to a grade 4 GCSE.
- Accredited and recognised qualification that will demonstrate your knowledge and skills in ICT and English.
- You’ll become proficient in ICT and understand the modern office.
- Improve your reading and writing skills, including punctuation and grammar.
- Achieve this qualification from the comfort your own home, at your own pace.
- If you add on your exams, we will book and pay for them for you!
Our Edexcel Functional Skills English and ICT Level 2 qualification is an accredited, nationally recognised qualification in IT and English.
The course has been designed for anyone looking to understand the fundamentals of English and ICT. During the ICT section of this course, you’ll learn more about using storage and software, how to use databases and spreadsheets, and how to produce word documents and slide presentations. The ICT course has been designed around the use of Microsoft Office, however, the contents of this course are also applicable to other solutions such as Google applications too. Your English course will cover speaking, listening, and communication, as well as reading and writing.
Please note that you must complete the exams to achieve your qualification. You can choose to add your exams to your enrolment, and we will save you the hassle of booking them, giving you more time to dedicate to your studies. If you do not add your exams to your enrolment, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams by liaising directly with your chosen exam centre.
Up to two years.
Edexcel Functional Skills ICT Level 2 and Edexcel Functional Skills English Level 2 qualifications.
There are no specific entry requirements to study this course.
Four exams. You will also complete tutor-marked assessments throughout your course to allow you and your tutor to track your progress.
- Extracting relevant information
- Following narratives and line of arguments
- Communication information, ideas and opinions
- Making requests and asking questions
- Expressing opinions and arguments
- Using language effectively
- Making relevant and constructive contributions
- Adapting contributions
- Interjecting and redirecting discussions
- Identify key information needed for a range of situations
- Compare information, ideas and opinions
- Identify implicit and inferred meaning
- Understand the relationship between textual features and devices
- Use a range of reference materials and appropriate resources
- Understand organisational features
- Analyses texts of different complexity
- Follow and identify different points of an argument
- Identify different styles of writing and writers voice
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Communicating information, ideas and opinions effectively and clearly
- Writing texts to meet the needs of purpose and audience
- Organising writing for different purposes
- Using different language and register
- Constructing complex sentences
- Health and safety of using computers
- Adjusting system settings
- Creating files and folders
- Controlling access to files
- Keeping your device secure
- Selecting software
- Understanding the user interface
- Using storage and storage devices
- Identify information required
- How to search effectively
- Evaluate websites
- How to save appropriately
- How to extract information using copy and paste, screenshotting, and copy and paste.
- How to present information in How to search data a table
- How to search data
- How to sort and filter data
- Understand queries and reports
- Be able to present information
- Validate data
- Apply formatting
- Carry out calculations
- Use conditions
- Display data graphically
- Typing and copy and paste text
- Inserting imagery
- Applying formatting
- Presenting work
- Making slides and editing them
- Animating and transitioning
- Sending and receiving
- Contacts lists
- Organising your inbox
Once enrolled, you have up to two years to complete your studies.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work, it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted or online, depending on the study method you choose. If you choose to study online, your login details will be emailed to you. You will also receive our tutor support by email, so help is only a click away.
You will also be provided with a range of further reading and videos to support your learning.
Exams and assessments
Functional Skills ICT Level 2 exam
To achieve your Functional Skills ICT Level 2 qualification, you must complete the exam. You will be assessed via an online exam. The exam will consist of two parts and will last for two hours. Your exam will be marked out of 50.
Functional Skills English Level 2 exam
Your Functional Skills English Level 2 qualification will require you to complete two written exam papers and one practical speaking exam.
You will also complete a series of tutor-marked assignments throughout your course. This will allow both you and your tutor to track your progress as you make your way through your studies.
Choosing to add the exams package
If you choose to add your exams on to your enrolment, all you need to do is contact us when you are ready to sit your exams, we will book and pay for them on your behalf. You are advised to contact us well in advance of when you intend to sit your exams so that we can confirm your place with the exam board.
Please note, our Functional Skills exam centre locations for this course are as follows:
- St Neots, Cambridgeshire
- High Wycombe
The course-only option
If you do not add your exams to your enrolment, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams yourself. If you select this option, you must source and liaise with your chosen exam centre in order to book your exams, Open Study College will not be able to book your exams for you.
Upon successful completion of the course and your exam, you will achieve both Functional Skills ICT Level 2 and Functional Skills English Level 2 qualification from Edexcel.
Edexcel is a highly respected and recognised awarding body, and their qualifications allow learners to succeed in life, learning, and employment. Functional Skills are nationally recognised level 2 alternative to GCSEs.
Once you have achieved your Functional Skills English and ICT Level 2 qualifications, you could progress to study the subejcts at GCSE, A Level, BTEC Level 3, or an alternative level 3 qualification.
Functional Skills ICT Level 2 - online exam
Duration: two hours
Assessment format: online exam consisting of two parts.
Functional Skills English Level 2 - practical exam
Duration: 40 minutes
Assessment format: a five-minute presentation with a question and answer session, and a 15-minute formal discussion.
Functional Skills English Level 2 - paper 1
Duration: 75 minutes
Assessment format: multiple-choice, short and medium open response questions.
Functional Skills English Level 2 - paper 2
Duration: 60 minutes
Assessment format: two set tasks with 42% of marks assessing spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
There are no formal course requirements, but it is recommended that you have access to a computer with internet access.
You will have two years from enrolment to complete this course.
- Expert personal tutor support
- Dedicated learner services
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- *Study pack including notebook, pen, and highlighter.
*Not included with the online study option.
Yes, in order to achieve your Functional Skills qualification, you must complete the exams required by the course’s exam board.
You can choose to add your exams to your enrolment with us, in which case we will book and pay for your exams for you when you are ready. Alternatively, if you choose the course-only option, you will be responsible for booking and paying for your exams which can be done directly with your local exam centre.
Please note: if you add on exams you will need to sit these exams in either the Birmingham, Coventry, Doncaster, Bolton, Wimbledon, Taunton, Belfast, High Wycombe, or St Neots, Cambridgeshire examination centre.
If you select the course-only option when enrolling on your course, you will need to book directly with the exam centre and pay for your exams yourself. We highly recommend researching your options before enrolling as costs can vary between centres. However, if you choose to add the exams package to your enrolment, we will take care of booking and paying for your exams for you when you are ready.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.