Higher Level Teaching Assistant
This Higher Level Teaching Assistant course is designed for those wishing to take their teaching assistant career to the next level.
- This course is a great addition to your CV which will help you to progress your career in education.
- Study relevant topics that will provide you with the knowledge to fulfil HLTA responsibilities.
- Explore topics such as how to build positive relationships, address behaviour issues, and how to plan and evaluate learning activities.
- Study at home at your own pace.
Our Higher Level Teaching Assistant course is a knowledge-only course that allows learning to build on their existing knowledge and experience as a teaching assistant. This course can support your CV with the addition of extra knowledge.
This course has been designed for those who are currently working in a teaching assistant role who are looking to develop their career further.
During your studies, you’ll learn more about the factors affecting development, how to build positive relationships with both colleagues and children, and how play can support the teaching and learning of children.
Up to one year.
Approximately 160 hours.
Higher Level Teaching Assistant certificate of achievement from TQUK.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- Intellectual development
- The importance of planning
- Factors affecting child development
- Confidentiality procedures
- Providing effective support for colleagues
- Conflict resolution
- Communicating with children
- Encouraging expression of feelings
- ICT in the curriculum
- Support for ICT based learning
- The importance of self-reflection
- Ensuring equality of access
- Issues surrounding ICT use
- Using games and music to enhance communication
- Games to develop communication skills
- Role play
- Everyday activities
- Encouraging learning through drama
- The role of a HLTA in managing behaviour
- Behaviour patterns
- Causes of challenging behaviour
- Promoting positive behaviour
- Supporting independent learning
- Teaching and learning resources
- Evaluating learning activities
- Supporting gifted and talented pupils
Who is this course for?
This course is designed for those currently working in a teaching assistant role and are considering progressing their career.
This course is assessed by a series of assignments which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination or practical work is required, so you can complete all assessed work from home.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 160 hours to complete. This allows you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines.
This course will be studied entirely via distance learning, meaning you will complete your learning either from home or a place that suits you. Full tutor support will be available via email, so if you have any questions or need some guidance, your tutor will be here to help. Your course materials will include a series of self-assessment exercises and tutor-marked questions to allow both yourself and your tutor to monitor your progress.
The study method you choose depends on your personal learning style. Your options are:
- Study pack: if you choose the study pack option, you will be sent a set of printed course materials.
- Study online: if you choose this option, you will be sent your login details to our online portal through which you will access your course materials digitally. You can access your course via a desktop/laptop computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will receive a Higher Level Teaching Assistant certificate of achievement from Training Qualifications UK (TQUK).
The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future.
The unit summary can be used as evidence towards your recognition of prior learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector.
The course itself has been designed by Open Study College to meet specific learner or employer requirements. The course has been endorsed by TQUK, meaning Open Study College have undergone external quality checks to ensure that the organisation and the courses they offer meet a high standard. Regular reviews of our courses are carried out as part of the endorsement process.
The course depth and study has been benchmarked at level four against level descriptors published by Ofqual.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. It is truly flexible and is designed to be adaptable around your lifestyle and other commitments.
- Dedicated personal tutor support with unlimited email access.
- Dedicated learner services from our learner services team.
- Course materials with learning activities.
- Assignment marking and feedback from your personal tutor.
- A free CV critique service and employability guide if you’re focusing on career advancement.
- A free XO Student Discounts membership to save you money on your favourite brands.
- A study pack including a pen, study planner, and notebook*.
* Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need is included in the cost of your course.
You will complete your assignments from home and send your work to your tutor for them to mark. They will return the assignment to you once they have marked it with detailed feedback and pointers for your next assignment.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.