Special Educational Needs SEN Level 3
Learn more about supporting children and young people with special educational needs with this Special Educational Needs SEN Level 3 course.
- This Special Educational Needs SEN Level 3 course is a great addition to your CV which will help you to progress your career in childcare or education.
- Study relevant topics that will enable you to better support the children and young people in your setting.
- Learn the essentials around how you can understand and promote the development of children with special educational needs, including chronic illnesses and physical disabilities; speech, language and communication difficulties; and social, emotional, and behavioural difficulties.
- Study from home at your own pace.
This Special Educational Needs SEN Level 3 course has been designed for those wanting to support and work with children who have special educational needs, to provide a level of knowledge and understanding on how to work them effectively.
During your studies, you will explore topics such as how to promote the development of children and young people; how you can support children with chronic illnesses and physical disabilities; and ways you can meet their social, emotional, and behavioural needs. You’ll learn how to support children and young people affected by special educational needs through your work in a childcare or education setting.
Up to one year.
Approximately 120 hours.
On successful completion of your course, you will achieve a Special Educational Needs SEN Level 3 certificate of achievement.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- Legal and regulatory requirements
- Types of discrimination
- The Equality Act 2010
- Special educational needs (SEN) code of practice
- The United Nations Convention on the rights of the child
- The United Nations Convention on persons with disabilities
- Inclusive practice
- Working in partnership
- Adapting practice
- Pattern and sequence of child development
- Influences on development
- Why development may not follow the expected pattern
- Defining speech, language and communication difficulties
- Effects and impact of SLC difficulties
- Adapting communication methods
- Supporting English as an additional language
- Supporting speech and language difficulties
- Psychological needs
- External triggers
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- The link between SEN and language difficulties
- Physical disabilities
- Cystic fibrosis
- Spina bifida
- Visual impairments
- Hearing impairments
- Identifying individual needs
- A child-centred approach
- Assessment frameworks
- The common assessment framework
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for anyone currently working in a role in a childcare or education setting who is working with children and young people with special educational needs.
This course is assessed by a series of assignments which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination or practical work is required, so you can complete all assessed work from home.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 120 hours to complete. This allows you to work at your own pace, without the pressure of tight deadlines.
This course will be studied entirely via distance learning, meaning you will complete your learning either from home or a place that suits you. Full tutor support will be available via email, so if you have any questions or need some guidance, your tutor will be here to help. Your course materials will include a series of self-assessment exercises and tutor-marked questions to allow both yourself and your tutor to monitor your progress.
The study method you choose depends on your personal learning style. Your options are:
- Study pack: if you choose the study pack option, you will be sent a set of printed course materials.
- Study online: if you choose this option, you will be sent your login details to our online portal through which you will access your course materials digitally. You can access your course via a desktop/laptop computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will receive a certificate of achievement in Special Educational Needs SEN Level 3 from Training Qualifications UK (TQUK).
The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards your recognition of prior learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector.
The course itself has been designed by Open Study College to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements. The course is endorsed by TQUK, meaning Open Study College have undergone external quality checks to ensure that the organisation and the courses they offer meet a high standard. Regular reviews of our courses are carried out as part of the endorsement process.
The course depth and study has been benchmarked at level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. It is truly flexible and is designed to be adaptable around your lifestyle and other commitments.
- Dedicated personal tutor support with unlimited email access.
- Dedicated learner services from our learner services team.
- Course materials with learning activities.
- Assignment marking and feedback from your personal tutor.
- A free CV critique service and employability guide if you’re focusing on career advancement.
- A free XO Student Discounts membership to save you money on your favourite brands.
- A study pack including a pen, study planner, and notebook*.
* Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need is included in the cost of your course.
You will complete your assignments from home and send your work to your tutor for them to mark. They will return the assignment to you once they have marked it with detailed feedback and pointers for your next assignment.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you're 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our team of education specialists a call on 03300 563 100 and they'll do their best to help.