Introduction to Criminal Law QLS Level 3
Explore the fascinating world of criminal law from home!
- This is an ideal course for anyone considering a career in criminology or criminal law.
- Improve your knowledge of how the criminal justice system operates in society.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. Completed coursework is delivered by post or via email, so handing in an assignment is simple. You will also have a personal tutor who will be there to offer you support every step of the way.
Boost your career opportunities and equip yourself with the skills you need for your long-term success. Home learning is simple and stress-free, so enrol with us today!
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 120 hours.
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Introduction to Criminal Law Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- Criminal law
- Sources of criminal law
- Ratio decidendi and obiter dicta
- Statutory interpretation
- Elements of criminal liability
- Mens rea and actus reus
- Specific and basic intent crimes
- The criminal court system
- The magistrates court and the crown court
- The legal profession: judges, magistrates and juries
- The crown prosecution service
- Types of sentence
- Legal aid for criminal cases
- The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984
- Stop and search
- Search of premises
- Time limits relating to detention
- Custody officer
- Rights of the detained person
- Fingerprints and body samples
- Out of court disposal
- Complaints against the police
- Damage to property
- Simple criminal damage
- Aggravated criminal damage
- Offences against the Person Act 1861
- Psychiatric injury
- Actual and grievous bodily harm
- Law in action
- General defences
- Law reform
- Mens rea of murder
- The actus reus of murder
- Joint enterprise
- Partial defences to murder
- Manslaughter (voluntary and involuntary)
- Gross negligence manslaughter
This criminal law course is assessed by a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your tutor for marking. There is no external examination required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 120 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
You will study this course by distance learning, which will enable you to learn when and where you want. You can study from home or at work, it is completely up to you. All your materials will be posted or sent to you via email. You will also receive our award-winning tutor support by email, so help is only a click away!
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. This course is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. We will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example, progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the ABC Awards and Certa Awards website.
This course has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- *Comprehensive study guide
- *Open Study College pen and highlighter
- *Student study planner
- *Student notebook
- *Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
No. We will issue certification based on your coursework alone.
No, everything you need is included in the price!
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.