Canine Health and Nutrition QLS Level 3
The purpose of this course is to provide students with information and skills necessary to be able to introduce the correct nutrition for all life stages and common disease states.
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the canine digestive system
- Knowledge of basic nutrients
- Identify the nutrients required for health and behaviour
- Identify the types of diets available
- Study at your own time and pace with no strict deadlines to contend with
The course will give students an understanding of how to appropriately provide the best nutrition, allowing owners to achieve the best health for their dogs.
The course will allow you to study when and where you want, at your own pace. All coursework can be submitted by either post or email making it easier and hassle-free.
All of the materials will be delivered to you either online or through the post, you decide! Our experienced and friendly tutors are always a click away by email, giving you advice and helping you through your course.
Up to 1 year.
Approximately 80 hours.
Canine Health and Nutrition Level 3.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
Tutor marked assignments.
- Describe the anatomy of the canine digestive system
- Explain the structures associated with the canine digestive system
- Evaluate the physiology of the canine digestive system
- Describe common problems related to the canine digestive system
- Describe what nutrients are required to formulate a correctly balanced diet
- Evaluate the need for carbohydrate, fats and protein in a balanced diet
- Describe the importance of minerals and vitamins in a balanced diet
- Explain the significance of water in a balanced diet
- Describe the legal requirements on dog food labels
- Evaluate the nutrition supplied in different types of diet
- Describe the difference between wet, dry and semi-moist food
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of feeding home-made and raw diets
- Describe the correct diet for growing puppies
- Evaluate the nutritional requirements of healthy adult companion dogs
- Describe the importance of correct nutrition for working dogs Explain the nutritional needs of geriatric dogs
- Describe the development of behaviour problems caused by poor nutrition
- Evaluate the health issues caused by a decreased intake of nutrients
- Describe the health issues caused by an excessive intake of nutrients
- Explain the common medical diseases seen as a result of poor nutrition
- Describe the nutritional changes required for obese dogs
- Evaluate the nutritional changes required for dogs with hepatic disease
- Describe the importance of supplements for skin disorders
- Explain how nutrition can be used to support dogs with renal disease
This course is assessed through a series of written assignments, which are submitted to your tutor for marking. No external examination is required.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. We suggest that the course will take approximately 80 hours to complete. This is more than enough time to give you flexibility and work at your own pace without the pressure of deadlines.
This course is designed for distance learning at home or at work. Students receive a course manual, assignments and a study guide in addition to tutor support by email.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. The Quality Licence Scheme, endorses high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme has been endorsed by the Quality Licence Scheme for its high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. Your training provider will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality Licence Scheme website.
You do not need any previous knowledge to enrol onto this course.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV critique service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College Pen and highlighter
- * Student study planner
- * Student notebook
- * Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
No, everything you need is included in the price!
You will send your work to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course, you will be awarded your Canine Health Nutrition Level 3 Certificate of Achievement.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.