A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Frontend developer to join the development team at Open Study College (OSC).
OSC is a family founded distance learning college helping people to achieve their dreams via flexible further education. We offer over 700 courses and accreditations that have been designed for people to study from home, around their lifestyle. Whether our learners want to study to progress their career, retrain, or get to uni, we’re here to get them where they need to be.
The Package: A competitive package inclusive of a basic salary of between £30,000 - £45,000 (depending on experience). Progression opportunities are available to the right candidate. Plus, a wide range of benefits and perks.
Hours: Permanent position, full time 37.5 hours per week – 8.30am – 5pm (Monday - Friday). Hybrid working – 2 days in the office, 3 days at home.
Location: Solihull B37.
What's on offer:
- A fabulous range of additional benefits, including 22 days holiday as standard plus bank holidays with additional leave throughout and your birthday off.
- Subsidised Bupa private medical insurance membership.
- Excellent training, and progression opportunities are available to the right candidates.
Perks of working at OSC
- A “Pick Me Up” Day - an extra holiday day to focus on your wellbeing.
- Time off for family commitments.
- Christmas Eve off if it falls on a working day.
- A birthday gift.
- Referral scheme – up to £300.
- Extra holiday and other benefits for length of service!
- After successfully passing probation, you can study one of our courses!
- On-site parking.
- Discounted childcare on Birmingham Business Park – subject to availability.
- Career progression.
- World-class training.
- Internal awards, with prizes for recognition.
- Legendary Christmas party! Did someone say free bar!
- And generally, a professional, fun, friendly and inclusive culture. We’re a close-knit team and take any opportunity we can to get together and celebrate the successes, whether that be a company-wide summer BBQ or cakes and beers in the office!
Who we are Looking for
We’re on the lookout for a talented and passionate Frontend Developer, someone who wants to be a significant part of a small, close-knit, collaborative cross-functional team that loves working together to build incredible products.
With an exceptional eye for detail, you will be focused on excellence and should be a creative, passionate and enthusiastic individual who has an active interest in the industry with the ambition to continue learning and growing within your role.
You are able to work as part of a team but at times, autonomously. You are detail-oriented and mindful of writing clean code whilst displaying a real passion for the web development industry. Strong communication skills and an ability to communicate and generate ideas, theories, and technical concepts are also essential.
You’re enthusiastic about tech and keen to learn new front-end libraries, frameworks and techniques. You enjoy experimenting and trying out new languages, tech stacks and development techniques whereby you demonstrate your passion for what you do.
You will be responsible for helping devise the technology stack, hence, it is essential you are able to bring your own flair and enthusiasm to the exciting and challenging products we have in the pipeline utilising technologies such as Remix.run, Storybook, Prisma and Planetscale.
This is a role that you can make your own, and if you are passionate about self-development, implementing new technologies and being a part of some exciting up and coming projects then this is an excellent opportunity to progress and grow with the business.
What the Job Involves
You will get the chance to help define and shape a new technology stack for our upcoming digital transformation projects. As a Frontend Developer for OSC, you will get the chance to work on the latest cutting-edge technologies and be a part of an exciting digital transformation to take us to the next phase of our mission to empower our learners to be afforded the opportunity to change their careers.
You will be a key part of a small, agile team in the development of a new e-commerce website and an exciting MVP. You will be responsible for developing and enhancing the user interface of these new platforms and be afforded the opportunity to select the right tools and technologies to help deliver the technology roadmap.
As a passionate Frontend Developer, you will have a keen mindset to improve and innovate whilst ensuring you keep to high standards when it comes to attention to detail and code quality. You will adhere to best practices and challenge the rest of the team in maintaining these standards.
You will have the chance to instil your ideas on the team and the business for our digital transformation projects and we are hot on collaboration so being able to work closely with the wider teams is important in being able to improve processes for everyone continuously.
- 2+ years of professional experience building responsive, accessible, user-friendly websites/applications.
- Expert Knowledge of HTML and CSS/SCSS.
- A solid understanding of UI/UX Design patterns.
- A passion and understanding of building and maintaining reusable components.
- Create solutions that encourage reuse, readability, and best-practice coding standards.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving aptitude.
- Keep pace with rapid innovation in web technologies and exhibit a desire to push limitations.
- Work with the development team to continually improve our process and workflow.
- Ability to come up with ideas that help improve the user experience and increase website conversions.
- Experience with e-commerce platforms (eg. Shopify)
- Experience utilising Package Managers and Task Runners e.g. Composer, Yarn/NPM, Webpack and Vite.
- Comfortable using Design tools including Photoshop, XD and/or Figma
- An understanding of the BEM naming convention for (S)CSS
- Experience working with the JAM Stack architecture and implementing Headless CMS systems such as Headless WordPress, Sanity, Contentful, Storyblok or Strapi
- Experience with CI/CD workflows eg. Github Actions
- An understanding of Front End Testing including UI Testing, E2E Testing, Unit Testing and Integration Testing
- A basic understanding of containerised development environments such as Docker
- Accessibility Best Practices
- A good understanding of the factors that impact website performance and experience of actioning recommendations from website performance tools, e.g. GT Metrix, Google PageSpeed, Pingdom etc
- Driven to keep up-to-date with the latest development best practices
If you are interested in learning more about this role, please send your CV to us, as well as links to any code examples or case studies where you have used your expertise to deliver challenging briefs. The recruitment process may also require the completion of a technical assessment. We aim to respond to everyone and we thank all applicants in advance for their interest.
Due to GDPR, OSC Recruitment will not be able to retain your personal information unless you have registered with us.