Editing and Proofreading Level 3
Boost your skills in editing and proofreading with an award-winning home learning provider!
- Understand the different types of editing and how to approach them
- Discover how to proofread different types of copy
- Learn how to work as a freelance editor or proofreader
- Recognise the difference between editing and proofreading
- Understand how to edit a text so it appropriate for the targeted audience
- Identify common punctuation and grammar mistakes
This course will allow you to study at a time and place which suits you with no strict deadlines or timetabling to contend with. This means you can fit studying around your other commitments!
You will receive your course by post, so getting your materials is easy and hassle-free. Your personal tutor is there to support you every step of the way by email, so help is only a click away!
Up to 1 year.
You will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Proofreading and Editing Level 3.
A reasonable standard of written English and familiarity with British style English.
Tutor Marked Assignments
- Differences between proofreading and editing
- Different types of editing
- Marking up and edited file electronically
- BSI proofreading marks
- Editing a text for a targeted audience
- Difference styles of English
- Compare style guides
- Setting up a style sheet
- Conventions for different types of writing
- Common punctuation errors
- Grammatical mistakes
- Using a spell checker and its shortcomings
- Dealing with legal issues in the text
- Point of view
- Tracking and kerning
- Marking up errors
- Widows and orphans and eliminating them
- Using italics and emboldening
- Checking tables and figures
- Elements that make up a book
- Working practices to improve proofreading
- Layout errors and correcting them
- Fact check to an appropriate level
- Different approaches to working with fiction and non-fiction
- Addressing structural issues
- How to work as a freelance editor/proof reader
This course is assessed by a series of assignments, which are marked by your tutor. There is no external examination required.
You will have a full year to complete this course, which is plenty of time to be able to study at your own pace.
You will study this course through distance learning, which means you can learn at a time and place to suit you. Your course materials will be delivered to you by post, so receiving your course is easy and hassle-free. Tutor support is also available by email, so help is only a click away! You will send your assignments to your tutor for marking. Assignments can be sent by email or post, it’s up to you!
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Editing and Proofreading Level 3.
The course has been endorsed by TQUK and is not an accredited qualification. This course has been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual to indicate the depth of knowledge and understanding that you would expect at this level.
The course itself has been designed by Open Study College to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements.
TQUK is an Awarding Organisation recognised by the qualification regulators for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The regulators are the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual) in England, the Welsh Government in Wales and the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) in Northern Ireland.
A reasonable standard of written English and familiarity with British style English is required to enrol onto this course.
You may start at any time and have a full year to complete your studies. This course is truly flexible and adaptable around your lifestyle and other commitments.
- Dedicated personal tutor support
- Dedicated student support
- Assignment marking and feedback
- FREE CV writing service
- FREE employability guide to help you impress future employers
- FREE XO Student Discounts card
- * Comprehensive study guide
- * Open Study College pen and highlighter
- * Student study planner
- * Student notebook
- * Document wallet
* Not included with the online study option
No. Your certification is issued based on your coursework alone.
No, everything you need is included in the price!
You will send your work to your personal course tutor for them to mark and return to you. On successful completion of the course you will be awarded a Certificate of Achievement in Editing and Proofreading Level 3 Certificate.
It's not a problem. We offer a course replacement service, so if you get into trouble and your course pack is lost or damaged, our Student Support Team can provide you with a new set of materials for a one-time additional fee.
That's not a problem. We want to make sure you’re 100% confident about enrolling on the course and starting your study. So, just give our Student Adviser Team a call on 03300 563 100 and they’ll do their best to help.